Word and Image: 'Alien-'

 Poem by Lily Eldrid, Image by Anna Medina




They are inescapable,

the Martians 

with their poisonous mouths

that secrete deathly whispers.

They know I am not there for

lessons on toxicology

I am told anyway

Never my back turned

They would squash me

If given the chance

 

Honestly sorry-

 

I am sorry, string of lights

for looking at your refulgent bulbs

hanging so lazily

I am sorry.

 

I am sorry, pine tree

for your stump

the limp we gave you

your years of wisdom on display

 

Celebrations in full swing

Now we are sorry

Raise toasts in your name

And eat everything whole

 

But you, pious thing

Sit near the dog

Eat off the floor

Alienate, play with imaginary friends

We don't care.

 

A letter to the forest-

 

O Forest!

Silent in the disarray

Planned, plotted

Swallowing weaker views

 

O Forest!

Your placidity astounds me

Stained soles walk upon you

and you remain

 

O Forest!

If I were able

I would disturb these trespassers

Set the very beasts

Upon them they seek

 

O Forest

You are inanimate 

I am silly for this

I will stop. 

Comments