The Book that Changed My (Lock Down) Life: 'Neverwhere'

 Ben Goad


“The author that changed my lock down life”… 

…is what I’d really like to write about. And that author is Neil Gaiman.


Children bring a number of joys into a parent’s life (along with plenty of trials and tribulations of course) but one particularly life changing moment was the arrival of Neverwhere as a Christmas present from my eldest child. I was transfixed in just a few pages; the writing was so visceral and imaginative (and, at times, quite simply bonkers) that I’m afraid I suffered quite severe sleep deprivation during the holidays and probably neglected to perform some vital household chores.

Neverwhere is not a particularly long book and I found I was suffering from withdrawal symptoms until, with intense relief, I discovered that Mr Gaiman is not only an author but an altruist who publishes his short stories for free on his website: https://www.neilgaiman.com/Cool_Stuff/Short_Stories

Sadly, short stories really don’t last that long and I found that I was desperate for more, until I discovered two further joys, Audible and Radio Plays, and found that Neil Gaiman features heavily in both. I got to enjoy Neverwhere all over again, but with the voices of James McAvoy and Benedict Cumberbatch in my ears! I then found that he pops up everywhere… Doctor Who, BBC Television Dramas, collaborations with Terry Pratchett, graphic novels… He has basically done everything and I appear to have entirely missed it all - until now.

I don’t usually treat myself to gifts for no reason, I usually have a little more self control, but I caved in recently and bought four more of his books in an attempt to feed my habit until the end of lock down. Their arrival was captured with glee (see photo) and the moment was shared with my daughter by text, whose reply suggested that I was becoming a bit of an addict. I don’t think I’d go that far, but it is certainly the case that lock down has been a lot more bearable with Neil Gaiman’s books in my life.

 


Comments