Poem: 'Dare'

 by Phoebe Clark




There’s a change in the air. 

I can breathe with ease 

As I walk. Do I dare?

The temptation, I can feel it tease.

The colours are brighter,

I might feel them burn

Into my chest as it closes tighter. 

Something is watching me, do I turn?


All alone.

No one can hear you scream.

The ground crunches like a bone,

Maybe just leaves to make me dream.

Space. Space. Space.  

I am the only person left here 

The earth turning at my own pace,

Something only I can fear


To think about. A magic in the air 

Somehow always out of reach,

Should I be without a care?

Something no one can ever teach

You in a classroom, if I ever go back

God knows when,

Even if I could. There’s a lack 

Of solutions out of this den


That I have found myself in,

I wasn’t here a minute ago, do I stop?

So quite you can hear a pin

Drop

Into the pile of sticks and rotting leaves

Falling through the floor,

I want it - give it back thieves!

They disappear through to where I cannot follow anymore.


Comments