3. What PGS Staff Are Reading, Watching and Listening to this Christmas

Portsmouth Point editors asked members of staff to share their favourite Christmas songs, books and films.


Mrs King (who retires this week, after 16 years at PGS)


My favourite Christmas film has to be A Wonderful Life – I love its message that everyone has more impact and influence on other people than they think and that we are all connected to each other, so that none of us is marginal, dispensable or alone. As far as music goes, it has to be ‘Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas’ (Judy Garland version, of course, from the film Meet Me in St Louis); it is beautifully sentimental and heartfelt, expressing the sadness as well as the joy of the Christmas season. 

Miss Fewings 


I have always loved Elf ; it's funny and it give all adults the excuse to become a big kid again, proving that you are never too old to believe in the magic of Christmas. I am a huge Wham fan and so my top Christmas song is always going to be 'Last Christmas'; I was so sad when George Michael died, on Christmas Day four years ago, but that makes the song even more poignant each year. 

Mrs Cross


I always look forward to hearing 'Fairy Tale of New York' on the radio - it is such a rousing song, funny and tragic, with the great interplay between Kirsty MacColl and Shane McGowan - it is like a play and a song, all in one. As far as films go, it has to be How The Grinch Stole Christmas (all three versions, but especially the original cartoon narrated by spooky Boris Karloff); ultimately, it teaches us the true meaning of Christmas (but at the same time, let's face it, there is a bit of Grinch in all of us). I love the original Grinch book too, as I am a big Dr Seuss fan. However, as far as Christmas books go, my favourite is the Gospel of Matthew. I know the Chaplain is a big fan of the Gospel of Luke
but I love the bling brought by the three wise men in Matthew (and, of course, they started the idea of Christmas presents!)


Comments