1: What PGS Staff Are Reading, Watching and Listening to this Christmas

Portsmouth Point editors asked members of staff to share their favourite Christmas songs, books and films. 


Reverend Hunt

My favourite Christmas book is the beginning of the Gospel of Luke, particularly the description of the shepherds. It is really important, to me, that the first people to be told of Jesus' birth are the least privileged members of society, which was central to Jesus' message during his ministry. My favourite Christmas song is 'O Holy Night' - although it has to be a version with a great soloist; I love this song so much I am usually still singing it by the time we get to March. As for best Christmas film: well, obviously, it has to be Die Hard - part of Hunt family tradition, which I am delighted my son has now begun with his family.  

Mrs Morgan


At the risk of being completely predictable, I have to admit that my favourite Christmas film is Home Alone. I was 8 years old when this film came out, about the same age as the lead actor Macaulay Culkin. Being something of a mischievous child myself, I could totally relate to the chief protagonist Kevin who single handedly takes down the two baddies brilliantly portrayed by Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern. I wouldn't dream of watching Home Alone at any other time than Christmas. But although I've seen it many, many times, nothing makes me feel more festive than cuddling up with my own children on a cold December day and watching Kevin's adventures all over again.

Mr de Trafford

I am not sure I like Christmas Movies. Bah Humbug! I do like a proper Carol Service, probably late at night in a very old church or cathedral with candle light and no Jingle Bells.

Mrs Casillas-Cross

As far as Christmas music goes, anything by BublĂ© works for me! Favourite book is, of course, the brilliant Reindeer that Saved Christmas - and, for film, it has to be the cheesy Love, Actually to see in the festive cheer!

Mr Taylor

Dickens' A Christmas Carol remains my favourite seasonal book - it is in the great tradition of Christmas ghost stories and manages to be at once celebratory and optimistic but also dark and haunting. The Ghost of Christmas Future is a genuinely terrifying character. 

When it comes to music, Christmas does not truly begin until I have heard Slade play, 'Merry Christmas Everybody', which remains, for me, the indispensable Christmas song. 


As for films: one that used to be on TV every Christmas is the great Hollywood epic, Ben-Hur, with its famous chariot race (genuinely dangerous in an era before CGI) and some scenery-chewing acting by its star, Charlton Heston. Made in 1959 Ben-Hur retains its magic 61 years on; I still watch it every Christmas. 


Comments