The Top 5 Things About Christmas: Part III

We asked Ray Leach, Julian Davis and Olivia Watkins to list their favourite Christmas books, films, music and food, as well as telling us the best and worst presents they ever received. 


Ray Leach


Fairytale of New York
(Kirsty MacColl and Shane MacGowan)
1) Favourite Christmas book: A fond memory I have from early childhood is being thrilled by 'The Jolly Christmas Postman'with varying stories and perspectives as well as three dimensional interaction, it certainly ignited my love for story telling. 

2) Favourite Christmas film: A film that can be quoted by myself and my family all year long without growing old, is one to remember: 'Elf' will be a family favourite until I have children. 

3) Favourite Christmas song: The Pogues blessed us with the 'Fairytale of New York' that I discovered seemed to be the only exception allowed for profanities in our household; it brings a smile to our faces each year. 

4) Favourite Christmas food/drink: A personal, and admittedly common favourite food at Christmas would be mince pies - no chance of having spares left over in our household. 

5) Best/worst Christmas gifts: I won't forget the year I received a pink doll's house that was seemingly twice my size. I will accept this as making up for the Christmas when I was gifted a whisk at the age of 10, I don't know whether it is fair or not to say I was clueless as to what to do with it... 


Julian Davis


1) Favourite Christmas book: a tough choice, but my favourite Christmas book is the The Grinch Who Stole Christmas - you can't go wrong with Doctor Seuss.

2) Favourite Christmas film: Love, Actually hands down. A wonderful, hilarious film filled with a myriad of quirky characters and just lovely to watch at Christmas time - plus with an incredible cast. One of the greats - easily.

3) Favourite Christmas song: 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues - great song. After that, the usual classics: Slade, Wizzard, maybe a bit of Buble.

4) Favourite Christmas food/drink: What to choose?  There is so much choice! Torn between mince pies, devils on horseback and pigs in blankets; they're all amazing.

5) Best/worst Christmas gifts: Probably something amazing when I was younger - if not a phone. The worst, shampoo.



Olivia Watkins

1) Favorite Christmas movie: Love Actually, because of how completely different plot stories are skillful intertwined to have dramatic, funny and happy moments. I also love how the non-romance love stories are also included as well as the romantic ones. I shows many different perspectives and experiences all culminated in a dramatic and happy ending.

2) Favourite Christmas song: The Pogues’ ‘Fairytale of New York’, is my favourite Christmas song because its content is more like real life that a romanticised, unrealistic version of Christmas and it hasn’t got the mainstream, repetitive sense that other Christmas songs tend to have.

3) Favourite part of Christmas: Probably eating too much at Christmas dinner, especially the pigs in blankets, and obviously opening presents seeing people’s reactions to the bad ones.

4) Best and Worst Christmas presents: The best Christmas present I have ever received was probably a guitar a few years ago because it meant I learned a new instrument properly. The worst was probably an itchy Christmas jumper.



Comments