What's This? What's This? More Christmas Songs?!

by Patrick McGuiggan



"Instead of screams, I swear, I can hear music in the air,
The smell of cakes and pies, Is absolutely everywhere..."

Last year I offered the good people of PGS five of my favourite Christmas covers. Whilst many scoffed at what they considered the butchering of their much loved classics, there were a few who saw the light, and it is for those few that I write this post. There were a few -- weren't there?

We are finally in December; the green light has been given and out come the much loved Christmas sweaters (yes there are several), the newly bought Christmas ties  and, most importantly, the Christmas music which I so dearly love. I recently purchased some tickets to see Tim Wheeler and Emmy the Great perform songs from their album "This is Christmas" and ever since I have been listening to some Christmas music to get myself in the mood for the gig and the holiday season in general. Below are some more covers and some original Christmas songs, which might just warrant a space or two on your Christmas playlists.

Covers

5. fun. - Sleigh Ride
 
 

4. House of Heroes - All I Want For Christmas is You


 

 
 

3. Tim Wheeler and Emmy the Great - Marshmallow World

 

2. Jack Johnson - Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
 


 

1. The Shins - Wonderful Christmastime

 

 
Original Songs

5. Dashboard Confessional - The Only Gift That I Need

 


4. Ben Folds - Lonely Christmas Eve

 

3. For the Foxes - Christmas in the Midwest

 

2. The Boy least likely to - Christmas Isn't Christmas

 

1. Frightened Rabbit - It's Christmas so we'll stop

 

 
I am not suggesting for one second that any of these songs should replace the all time Christmas classics, such as The Pogues' Fairytale of New York , The Pretenders' 2,000 miles or Chris Rea's Driving Home for Christmas,  but maybe, just maybe, they could stand happily alongside them on your Holiday playlist this year.

 

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Comments with names are more likely to be published.