Persephone and the Pomegranate Seeds: from Hades' Point of View

by George Shivjee




Hades:

Through the cracks, through the Death. I look through the cracks between life and death. I see the light, I see the blue, I see the green, I see her, I see the beauty. The beauty reflects off her, blinding me. The beauty, it blinds my mind, It makes me break the barrier between life and death, and I pull her down, guided by horseshoe and gold.


I pull her down to the bottom. I feel pity, I shouldn't have separated daughter from mother with such ease, I should have thought about this more.


We enter the endless deep, the death, we land on the cripled land, the underworld as the mortals call it. I calmed her down, and inferred to not fret. She soon found out that I was not a kidnapper, a threat, but a comfort. I tell her my true intentions, my proposal, my wife.


I was surprised at her response, someone who had just been taken from mother, kidnaped, answered the way she did. I settled her into the role, of being the one I truly love, now queen of the underworld, goddess of mine, beauty of mine. But she soon started to worry, about mother, about demeter. I could not let her go, the gloria, the light of the underworld, my light, my love. But a pomegranate would decide our fate. Every seed she ate, every month she stayed with me, being the angel in the land of death. But for the same period, she would return to Demeter, Mother and daughter, two doe. She ate six.


Seasonal Poem:

When she is here, It is bright,

She sprinkles flora every step,

She carries the newborn, the youth,

She awakens the fauna, who had all left.

Persephone is near

Spring is here


When she is gone, all is grey,

The flowers rot, she walks away,

We hide, we die, we wait for light,

She is gone, the fauna died today.

Persophone is gone

Winter is apon.


Comments