Poem: 'Woman (no child)'

 by Lily Eldrid


 


I chose the life of a spinster 

To show femininity was not dependant on this blossomed womb

This red raw shell that if I chose to house something in

It would claw on my insides and spread its sweet conformity to my heart

 

I chose the life of a spinster 

Because there was a point to make, a political move

That earned me the watching eyes of society

And the ever growing hollowness of living

I dance only in empty rooms and speak to walls with complete sincerity

 

I chose the life of the crazed woman 

And no one will now come close to my smooth stomach 

And arms that hold no snotting babe

Arms worked only by man's jobs and old knitting scars

 

I have given up little arm and little heart for my own company,

Surrogate to passing souls,

And no man will ever see these trembling hands

Motherly instincts and rage packed into their joints 

 

And when you see me bare foot in the road,

Do not give me your child to cradle,

I will tear it limb from limb

 


Comments