Review: '2:22 A Ghost Story'

 by Lorcan Bonser-Wilton



Recently I took a trip to see Danny Robins’ acclaimed original production of 2:22 A Ghost Story. The name itself comes from the central plot point of a supposed appearance of a ghost, every morning at 02:22. This is reinforced by the omnipresent glowing digital clock sat prominently on the set, showing both actor and audience the countdown to the looming threat that hangs over the characters in the play for almost the full show. The set itself is a simple living room and kitchen, however it is made much more realistic by features such as half-painted walls and various household objects. While at first the various items of furniture seem simple, near to the play’s climax, they certainly do ‘come alive’ (without giving too much away!). Finally, the sudden transitions certainly scared me, due to a rather effective combination of loud noises and harsh lighting!

The promising cast were most of the reason I chose to go and see the show; with stars such as Stephanie Beatriz and James Buckley, it seemed like a no-brainer to head up to London and see it. I have to admit that the cast of 8 was one of the smallest I have ever seen in a professional production, however there was certainly no absence of talent! Beatriz, who portrayed Lauren with a unique and quirky quality, displayed the great acting skills I have seen previously in her other appearances. Buckley played the character of Ben with similar talent, and his many hilarious comments had the audience in stitches, and additionally he lended himself well to the witty and clever script. The character of Jenny was played by an understudy, Rhiannon Handy, at my performance. Despite my initial disappointment at not seeing Giovanna Fletcher, I was very impressed with Handy’s emotive range and ability to play such an important role that presented such a wide spectrum of challenges. Finally, Elliot Cowan, who played Sam, portrayed a distinctly unlikeable character well, as well as working well with Handy to present a contentious and struggling relationship.

Overall, I very much enjoyed the show, despite going into it completely blind to the story. While I have been asked to keep the ending secret, I will say I found it very unexpected, and interesting to say the least! It is playing at the Gielgud Theatre in London until 12th February, and I recommend you take the opportunity to go if you’re a fan of theatre, or just horror in general!

 

 


Comments