Leonardo Poetry Competition: Year 7 Finalists


 



Wave

 

We were in wars,

And battles,

On beach shores,

And country channels.

 

We fought again and again,

Thinking one of us could win,

Wounds, more than ten,

Scars, sharp as pins.

 

Yet, there were times,

When others would intrude,

Make us work together,

And forget about our fuds.

 

Little did we know,

That time would soon come,

Where what we would show

Was love, true but so dumb.

 

Your eyes held the peace,

And shone in the darkest nights,

They were wild like a beast,

Yet striking like the lights.

 

I thought our love would hold,

Keep us safe and sound,

But I should’ve known your heart was cold,

And what we have wasn’t really found.

 

So the fights cane back,

And the wars tenfold,

What I wanted, we lack,

Because we were never too bold.

 

Good memories,

Gone,

Enemies,

Love torn.

 

So as we laughed,

And you cried,

I smiled and carved,

Pull what holds you tied.

 

 I engraved,

A small little message,

Into your throat,

And watched the blood wash it.

 

The sadness,

The feeling of nothing,

Rinsed away,

By a wave of

                                great

                                                  Happiness.

 

Alexandra Dempster 7Y


 

Melding with the Cosmos

 

I feel free, wild and unfeathered

The air breathes breath

Soft carcasses,

 

Eternity’s kisses upon my skin.

The warmth is soft and gentle,

I close my eyes and melded with the cosmos.

 

I am the oceans’ edge.

 

I cleave the water without resistance.

The coolness enfolds me in my watery arms.

A million fingers lift my hair

Embraced in timeless dimension

 

Archie Barber 7U


 

The Wave of Death

 

They crawl over the top,

Running across the mud.

I think of their families,

Waiting for them to return.

And then the next wave comes.

 

I see the bodies in the mud,

And braveness in their hearts.

Their thoughts and prayers to all their loved ones.

And the next wave comes.

 

I hear the deafening shots of the guns and the clanging of empty shells.

I can almost feel their pain as they slump onto the ground,

The bodies going limp.

And then the next wave comes.

 

I don’t want to do this just because I am the enemy.

I can’t but I must to save myself and my country.

The waves of soldiers roll on and on and on…

 

Sam Armstrong 7U


 

Swirling Sorrow

 

As apprehension slowly devours the quivering body,

Vigorous shaking overwhelms.

Racking sobs shake my core

As the one person who accepted me, left for someone else.

Why do I always push away the ones who value me?

How many more times until I finally see?

 

Despondency ebbs like a rhythmic tide

How could she have lied?

Coherent fury flares in the glazed eyes

As all the augmented anguish multiplies.

All I’ve ever wanted is for someone to care

For a broken soul, brimming with despair.

 

Misery, resentment and ignorance

Eternally smothering the person I was,

Joyous laughs that had erupted from my grinning mouth died down

The tireless calls we had abruptly stopped leaving me with a frown

It almost felt like a phase

Longing for the good old days.

 

When she left, I spiralled into torment

Life no longer and optimistic beat

As if it was an occurring defat,

My emotions had gone into a frenzy

Forever coming and going in waves,

They always do.

 

Mai Nguyen 7U


 

I witness a wonder…

 

Forming in the deep, dark heavens,

Its wrath mystifying the previous solitude,

The tendrils of her smoke-like vapour engulfing each star like a net to butterflies.

Majestically, she rages and fights, releasing a sea of vividness,

Blending the pupils that burn in the ever radiating heat,

Embracing the ghostly depth of thin, floating cotton.

 

Gliding steadily through an eternal mass,

As the midnight sun illuminates the magic below,

She flares and roars, unleashing the bloom and streaks of an everlasting rainbow,

The shallow shades of a sea in the sky, meticulously combines with an oak tree’s leaf,

Flawlessly wiping each cloud from the atmosphere.

 

With great passion, the vibrant sheet witnesses

The wonders on the ground, experiencing the sublime substance that conceals the earth like icing to a cake.

As a keen grin overcomes her excellent mass,

An intense murmur resounds in the sparkling air,

Shaking each tree like an earthquake has entered the vicinity,

This beautiful monster voraciously producing a whisper,

For everything goes silent, and all that is left is the resounding tone that now harmonises through the twinkling moon.

 

Indie Stone 7V


 

The Waves

 

Waves of wisdom, waves of joy,

Wave of heat and wave of glory,

The wave of a new friend coming to town,

The Mexican wave of a complete celebration,

The waves of the sea lazily beaching in the afternoon,

The happiness skips and leaps in the field of my heart,

But then a wave of doubt clouds all,

And something jet black strikes fear into the heart.

 

Waves of soldiers ready for war,

Tidal waves of infection striking sadness into their hearts,

Waving goodbye to a loved one,

Stop stop make it stop!

The black wave of fear swallowing me up,

But then a wave of salt,

The bitter revolting taste,

Waking me up from the black eclipse of a nightmare.

 

Standing on the glowing golden sand,

Sound waves flowing with the music of the sea,

It’s crystal clear calmness filling me with joy,

Once again.

 

Alexis Owen 7V

 

Comments