Possessions: What Really Makes Them So Valuable?

 by Dinura Ranmandala



Possessions are items that belong to someone that has some kind of value, whether that be materialistic value or sentimental. Many people are left possessions by deceased relatives and people they know to keep their memories alive even though their spirit in the living world has left. Personally, the possessions I keep that stay true to my heart are a pen I received from my primary school to remind me of the days when things were easier and the first toy I ever got, all linked to key moments in my life. As you can see all the possessions I keep are usually things that remind me of different times, times that you can no longer embrace.

The same goes for nearly everyone but then there are the people who only focus on the materialistic value an item can get them. Now this may be good in the short term as the item might take the stress out of your financial problems(that’s if you have them in the first place but most people who do this likely don’t), but tell me when you die will all this money that you earned come with you to life after death? Won’t you feel the guilt of selling an item that meant the world to someone previously who had thought that you would've cherished it like they did ever so long ago.

It’s the small things that make the biggest of differences, always look out for the 4 or 5 moments that can really change who you are as a person for the better, like keeping that toy your younger brother made you or not selling the old jewels your grandmother handed over to show you how much she loves you. At the end of the day though it's up to you how you define “possession” and what you shall do with it, the lesson that should be taken is that sometimes it's not about the money but the true meaning behind it.

Comments