World Book Week: Authorfy Challenge

Years 7 and 8 took part in the Authorfy Challenge this morning where authors such as David Baddiel, Justin Stomper and Sharna Jackson challenged the pupils to undertake a creative writing or drawing challenge in ten minutes. Here is what some of our pupils produced!


Abriti Ghimire

Curiously, Lucy picks up the mirror and looks into it. At first, all she sees is herself and her bed behind her, but as she looks closer, she sees something that seems to be floating. Lucy wipes the mirror thinking that it was just some dirt but when it didn't wipe off, she panicked and looked behind her. There was nothing. Lucy sighs and turns back to the mirror but this time it's clearer, it was something like a curtain. She felt a little swish(?) on her back so she turned around and tried to feel the thing that was behind her. She felt a silk cloth but still saw nothing. Slowly, she tugged on the silk. She sees something and her body urges her to step inside. Lucy goes into the curtain and gasps at the sight...

Esme Quinton

Secret Weapon: Piers Torday

Before you discover how powerful this thing is It just looks like an ordinary pen but no! It's a  pen with invisible ink, Just a novelty, you would think but this pen can do more than you realise. If you quickly press down on the lid twice MAGIC happens. A bright Ultraviolet light appears out of a small lightbulb on the other side where ink would usually come out. Still just a novelty? Well if you write with the invisible ink and then shine the ultraviolet light on top of it, WOW! You can see all your writing! 

But I think at this point, you are underestimating its abilities. Well, little did you know that if you press the ball of the pen up against your skin, Slowly but surely, YOU START TO DISAPPEAR! WOW!  To undo the side effects of this mind-blowing trick, Just shine the ultraviolet light on your skin, and, Voila! You are back to your usual self. Now isn't that amazing! Now you can trick your friends and family with this amazing pen!!!

Come buy this amazing pen at shops near you for just £1.99!!!!


Harriet Burrell

Justin Somper - Message in a Bottle 

Hi I am called June 24th, I am sending this from 40 years in the future, where we still haven’t got rid of Coronavirus. I have sent this to the year of 2021, after all this torture began and when you thought it would all be over and life would go back to what was normal for you. Well it’s not, the world is so bad that every new born baby gets named after a date, on which they can go out on. One day of the year is all they get, one out of 365 days is the time they get to explore. Technology hasn’t improved much either because not one team can be together at once so the chance of ever getting out of this is slim. Unless you do something. I’m sending this as a WARNING to get a grip of the world in your time, when you can actually stop it. My parents were children when they were your age and they told me about what life was really like and I want that so much so I’m going to do all I can and if that means making millions of copies of this letter and sending it around as much as possible I will. You can change the future, you can do things about corona, global warming and many other problems in the world if you get up and speak up. I want your life before coronavirus and you might be a parent in my time wanting the same for your children so why don't you do something about it. I want a real name and a real life but I can’t do anything about it so you have to do something yourself and make a change so I can have what others did. 

Nic Stone - Road Trip Letter 

Dear Agathe, I want to go on a road trip with you! I got to chose one person from my family to go on a road trip with and I chose you, I will list my reasons below - You are bilingual and know French fluently due to the fact that you are French - You are 7 years older than me and have got a driver's license and at a legal age in some countries - You have been to many places and lived in many different places, for example you are living in Poland at the moment so that knowledge would be helpful - You could also teach me some more French, the harder stuff because I know some but I don’t learn French (I do Spanish and German) - And of course it would be fun! We would have so much fun and we would belt music out of the car. We could see so many places and we could go to Greece because, why not? We would eat so much food and try new food. We could educate ourselves on different cultures and meet new people. We could do what we want, when we want. I hope you want to? 

Jamie Taylor

Katie & Kevin Tsang challenge you to create your own dragon who is afraid of something:

My Dragon

My dragon is not going to be that big, but he is very fierce. He is about eight foot tall and has a very long tail. He can fly and breathe ice. He is silver and blue with gold spikes up his back. Now this dragon isn’t ordinary. It's so brave, it's only scared of one thing.. It's not scared of anything but one. Ice. 

Sharna Jackson

10 minute challenge by Thomas Harris

Characters

Professor Lorens Steffensen

Very smart but inexperienced with murder or solving crime 

Seasick

Uncle of Antonia

Antonia 

A toddler that is experienced with solving crime 

Place

On a cruise ship in the Baltic sea near Denmark with millions of passengers aboard

Plot

  • Everyone boards the ship and goes to their rooms except a shadowy figure dressed in a black cloak who walks to the front of the boat and pushes the captain overboard while he was watching the sunset

  • The next morning everyone wakes up to see the captains body lying dead in the water 

  • The vice captain takes command of the ship and radios for help but the signal is cut

  • Antonia is interested in the crime scene and goes there to investigate while her uncle is reading.

  •  They sneak out every night to find clues

  •  One night they find fingerprints but a group of people in the same cloaks are coming and are whispering about the great old one 

  • The detectives hide and they examine the fingerprints to find out the vice captain is the murderer 

  • They confront he and try to arrest her but the crew is in on the plan and try to stop them 

  • The vice captain explains that by crashing the ship into the shore it will release the kraken

  • Whilst driving to the shore the baby attacks the crew and the uncle manages to set the ship off course slightly

  • The ship crashes but most of the passengers evacuate the ship.

Max Priestley

David Baddiel's Challenge: Write about something funny that you want to happen in your life.

Ideas

The magic slide.

This is where, when you go down the slide it turns your trunks or swim costume into

something really funny e.g. it could turn a swimsuit into a long dress. It could also change

into an itchy bush with bright green leaves

It was the day before my birthday and I couldn't wait to see what I would get. I was turning 10 tomorrow and my parents were making the cake ready for tomorrow. I was pacing in my room thinking about how tomorrow was going to be. I’ve invited Jessica, Tom and Niki to come over to my house and play about. We have a PS4, my little brother’s Xbox and a medium sized garden. I played a bit of minecraft with Tom that day and we couldn't stop talking about tomorrow because we were so excited. We played until I had to go to bed. I even went to bed early because I wanted to wake up early, it was my birthday after all. I went downstairs but just before I had gone into my parents bedroom and begged for them to get up. They crawled out of bed as if it were 3 in the morning but it wasn't. It was 6:45 so it wasn’t too bad. I saw my presents all on the table in the sitting room and mum said to me, “That’s not all Sam.”

Then dad said “Look outside.” I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It was a pool. I rushed outside to see that it was already full up and that they were filling it up yesterday and told me to stay in my room so I couldn't see it. It was pretty big. I mean it was bog for a flat packed pool. It was about 12 feet long. My friends were arriving in about three hours so I got everything else ready with my parents.

They arrived and at that time my parents pulled a small tunnel slide that was tall so it could fit over the edge of the pool. It was a tunnel slide. I imagined what it would be like to have a tuxedo on. I don’t know why I thought of it, I just did. Suddenly to my surprise I was suddenly wearing a tuxedo. My parents said to me, “Wh- where did you get that from be- because you we- were just wear- wearing trunks.” “I don’t know, I just thought about wearing it and then I was wearing it.”


I tried again but imagined wearing a long dress and I was pushed out of the slide with a long dress on. I thought about weird and wacky things like clean pants on my head and lots of helium balloons. I almost flew away but I wriggled out just in time. It was the best day of my life and I told my friends about it and we had the best time ever.



Two responses to the ten minute challenge for Dominique Valente:



Stazi Odor




Simone Hellyer




Lavakushan Madanlal 






Comments