Just Giving: Books and Toys

 by Amelia Jones (Year 8)


Over half-term, I was clearing out my bedroom and den and found lots of toys, books and clothes that I had sadly outgrown. All charity shops were shut due to the pandemic, but I still wanted the things to go to a good home, so my mum and I found a group that collects on behalf of ‘Baby Bundles’ and, as part of their work, supports a local women’s shelter for those families escaping domestic violence.

This local charity works in a number of ways: firstly, making up bundles of items new babies need; secondly, raising money for and supporting a local Trash Cafe, a local shop that gives and sells food cheaply to those in poverty or dealing with homelessness (and also ensuring food in general isn’t wasted, encouraging those with more money to buy higher-price items, which in turns allows them to give food away for free to those who need it the most - a win-win!)

One rule of the group is that every child escaping domestic violence with their mother is given a soft toy and a book; therefore, my things were gratefully received. It was really enlightening to find out about the group, learn more about who they help and understand that my toys and books are going to be read and loved again.


Comments