Why Everyone Should Play 'Animal Crossing'

 by Esme Kelly


Over lockdown, I decided to purchase a Nintendo Switch, using some money that I received for Christmas. Two things persuaded me to do so: the first being that I am ridiculously bored in lockdown and need all the entertainment I can get, the second being that this particular one came with the game 'Animal Crossing'. 

Now, I'm sure most have heard of this game, in which you build a little island and get some characters to come and live on it. Sounds pretty average, right? And, although I was excited to play it, I didn't expect it to be amazing. However, I was wrong; in fact, I have become addicted, because it is just so fun. Let me explain why. 

While the game offers many things to explore, the core gameplay loop is simple. When you start, you’ll be given a basic dwelling and a loan from Tom Nook (a charming racoon); then you earn currency (known as bells) to pay off your loan, which in turn upgrades your dwelling. You will then be given a new loan to work off until you’ve got the biggest house in the village. But there are plenty of other things to do along the way. There’s a museum to fill with bugs, fossils, paintings, and more. You can collect flowers, fruit, and seashells to sell for a profit. You can spend time socializing and sending letters or gifts to residents and real-life friends. Not only that, but there is a really personal touch to the game; you get to create your own little avatar, give it the coolest clothes, and design and decorate your own house; furthermore, you are able to travel wherever you want on the island at your own pace, as there is no ticking clock, no game-over screen, which just adds to the enjoyment that comes with playing this game. 

Although this might not sound that compelling on paper, the way Nintendo presents Animal Crossing elicits a sense of calm and serenity that few other games can match. The naïve-art style, soft yet vibrant colour palette, and lullaby-like music is good for the soul and offers needed escape from the stressful real world.

Comments