Poem: Home

 by Samantha Todd




Why is the bus seat the comfiest?

Where I can finally slump back into it

And slowly get lost in the world outside

Where I can claim my usual spot -

On the right, one row from the back, closest to the stop button

My therapist's chair now open for business

It doesn't change whether I'm happy or sad 

It's always here

It lets me stay for as long as I want

If I want to think for a while and take a ride to nowhere 

It wont complain

It will quietly let me enjoy my own company 

At home,

the seats are woven with fine fabric of worry

I can't sit still

I'm told to sit still

I'm told to sit straight

Stop slouching,

behave properly 

That's where I sit and study,

Stress and procrastinate.

Here I have my bubble,

Time is at a standstill as we move.

In those 40 minutes home

I feel more at home among strangers

Than I do sitting alone

 


Comments