Poetry from Lockdown

 by Tara Bell


Along with the prospect of a second lockdown comes the daunting amount of time and slight pressure to fill it with something productive/ worthwhile. Whilst I tend to procrastinate to distract me from my responsibilities, my Nana is filling her time with writing poems, making me feel quite unproductive. The latest one she sent me is inspired by Yeats’ The Second Coming, based on Boris’ second lockdown announcement and the feeling of doom it engenders. 

 

The Second Coming (apologies to W B Yeats)

 

Is this Yeats’ new

widening gyre?

His great beast,

re-scenting Covid,

stirs from its lair.

It pads faster;

the spreading, seeping

shadow blurs our

known world.

 

Covid images

float unthreatening

on the screen. But

those spiky circles,

are not toys. 

They herald infection,

where hospital trolleys

carry too many

sheeted dead.

 

We will not succumb as

lockdown shuts down

damps down, stamps down

our resistant death-twitch.

Those ordained gyres

will surely re-form and

our battered species

will doggedly build

a new survival.

Comments