Poem: Woody

 by Ann-Marie Phillips




I’ll always remember the day I first saw you
You turned my head then, I was so in awe of you
I watched you and dreamt as a few months passed by
You didn’t seem happy, I could see in your eye

As a child I’d dreamt of having a horse
A beautiful, bold Arab, a stallion of course!
The timing was right, the children had left home
We were destined to meet, it was your time to come home

And that was the start of a beautiful adventure
An equine and human partnership
That I will, forever, treasure
You were huge!
I was small!
Your head measured half of what I was tall!

But we rode and we worked and we walked so far together
And we groomed, cleaned and hacked in all kinds of weather
He’s a cart horse they said!
No you’re not……we would show them
You had a talent in dressage, a beautiful showman

You had such presence, amazing movement
“He’s so big to hold together”, judges would comment
We loved the learning, the technical training
With our amazing coach, patience not waning

You were so big, but rarely bold
Looking to me, for my hand to hold
But when it mattered, you were my protector
You took care of the young ones, like little Mia

The villagers loved you, “he’s so enormous!”
“he rattles my house”, “he just so gorgeous”
You completed my family, you, Christie and Stephen

But then we lost you……….

Time couldn’t be beaten……………

I can’t describe the loss I feel

Now you’re not here

I feel ill

You were amazing

A childhood dream

My beautiful gelding, my equine King

You taught me so much, I’ll love you forever

Rest peacefully my baby, I’ll see you later.


Comments