Poetry from Lockdown


Pupils in Years 9, 10 and 12 have been using poetry to reflect on their experience of Lockdown. 


(image: Ujwal Chouhan)



Vision From a Snow Globe

I’m trapped in a snow globe,
In my own world.
Lost in a flurry of thoughts,
In a sea of words.
The people walk past me
Unaware.
I want to break through the glass,
But I don’t dare.

Every day I dream of 
What’s beyond my grasp,
My vision is obscured
Just want to rip off this mask.
While you may be safe,
Shielded from the pain,
There’s a longing for reality 
And I’m bound by these chains.

So I sit here staring through a window,
Alone.
Blinded by the falling snow.

Emily Curwood 


Everything seems to pause,
Everything seems to slow,
Even the slowing is slow, 
As all slows to a halt

Time seems to have stopped,
Each day goes by slowly,
Nothing seems to ever change ,
Simply an ever-perpetuating state of boredom,
An insatiable feeling of emptiness, 
Of missing something,
Of missing everything 

And yet, just out of our grasp,
Everything seems the same,
The world lives on without us,
We sit and watch it from behind glass,
From behind a screen,
Perhaps the scariest thing is that the world doesn’t appear to need us 
We are unnecessary 

Without us,
The sun still sets and rises,
But there is no one to see it,
To post about it,
To show the world about it,

We are caged, just as we have caged the world,
As wingless birds,
We wait,
Wait for the moment we may fly,
As we watch birds beyond the glass

Each day meshes into the next,
Why are we here again,
What is this for,
Why?

It’s too quiet
I don’t like it
I hate it
I want out
Silence means thinking 
I am thinking too much 
How much longer
Must I wait?
Must I want?
Must I think?

I am not dead,
Nor am I dying
You are not dead,
Nor are you dying

Yet I feel I’m decaying 
Day by day 
I need out 

I want back 
Back to the halcyon days
Of war
Of pain
Of suffering
How selfish it seems 

But I need it

Cara Hutcheson 


Hope


Hope is a fickle companion,
Dreams in its presence, sweet and fair.
But its absence, like a canyon, 
Is dark and deep, full of despair.
Joyous laughter should be cherished,
Lest it at once be snatched away.
When happiness has long perished,
The world oft seems gloomy and grey.
Yet even in the darkest times,
There is a chance for joy’s return.
For like light, which through darkness shines,
Hope finds demons, in fire they burn.
So when in the depths of despair,
Recall the times happy and fair.

Alexander Geddes


When the Fun Went Away

At first it was fun, 
It seemed like a blessing;
As if someone has pressed pause
To let us all recharge. 

Little by little time went on, 
We started to notice the little things; 
The cheerful birds chirping, the brilliantly orange sunsets;
The aspects of life we had taken for granted.

We all didn’t think it would last this long. 
The longing started 
For luxuries we never even thought of as luxuries;
Spontaneous trips to the supermarket, drinks with friends and even days at work. 

How much longer will this last?
That’s the question everyone’s asking. 
But will it ever truly end?
Will life ever go back to normal?

It has become like a dream, 
‘Stay alert’ they say. 
Constant worry is always on the mind. 
The fun has long gone.

Becky Wiles


How to survive in these uncertain times?
When gathering in groups can result in fines,
And friends seem so far away,
And time stretches out day after day.

Stay home when you’re sick,
Stay six feet apart - that should do the trick,
Singing happy birthday while you wash your hands,
That’s what the government demands.

When food levels run low,
There are not many places to go,
Think of others; help those in your community,
Don’t hesitate, this is a great opportunity.

Hard times brought us together,
Don’t you forget that, not ever,
Eva Sutherland 




Joe Russell


2020! Just a phrase we know.
That’s trapped us inside for days,
As we hope for them to soon go,
While we learn a life of new ways.

Coronavirus. The pandemic
That shouldn’t have happened to earth. 
That has shaken up the whole world,
showing imperfections in our system.

This virus doesn’t discriminate,
This virus doesn’t care about you.
Your age, race, sex or disability.
It doesn’t matter, we are all humans!

Dreams can be renewed but love can’t,
Yet we still live and move forward,
And live and learn in our houses,
Learning new things about ourselves.

The number of crafts skyrockets,
As the boredom continues on,
The days and nights are indifferent,
They both seem to never end.

Walls of isolation surround me,
Give me hours of reflection.
Despite the stress and fear I feel,
I’m grateful for the opportunity.

Teens struggle to teach themselves
Their syllabus for upcoming exams. 
Whilst friends party and pity them 
For their hard work and determination.

We look back to photographs,
People herded in like goats,
Everyone around in masks,
Separated from loved ones close.

Darkness surrounded many of us,
Friends and family kept in touch
But their faces on a screen,
Can’t compare to a simple hug.

This year threw us a curveball,
Despite that, we have adapted.
Obstacle are thrown but open
Gateways to new beginnings.

We thank key workers for our lives,
Keeping us safe by risking their own.
Not all heroes wear capes:
Ours wear masks of victory!

Although our hands cannot
Touch yours for the time being,
We hope our stories can -

And give you the light in the dark.

Alice Hudson (Year 10)

Comments