The Book That Shaped My World: 'The Salt Path'

by Benedict Blythe



When I was asked to choose a book that has shaped my world, the first thing that I thought about was how I define what it means to ‘shape my world’. For me, this means an experience that changes and/or informs my opinions on the world around me. Often, I have found that things I consider to ‘shape my world’ have inspired me in new ways. To either take action on something, or to be creative in a way I hadn’t previously thought of. When I had considered all of these things, I immediately knew which book I would want to talk about. The Salt Path. 

The narrative itself is a true story, about a middle-aged couple who lose everything they have in an unjust court case, and are left homeless. Days later Moth, Rays husband, is diagnosed with CBD and isn’t expected to live much longer. Having nowhere else to go and desperately wanting an escape from everything, they use up whatever money they have left to buy equipment and food, as they embark on walking the 630 miles that make up the south west coast path. The book deals with multiple themes that include, homelessness, death, love over everything, isolation and regret. 


*

I feel confident in saying that this book has shaped my world more than any other narrative I have come across. Primarily, it opened my eyes to the realities of becoming homeless. The psychology behind someone who is homeless and the massive injustice they face due to the stigma around being homeless. The book itself gives an insight into many themes, mainly homelessness. In the narrative, Ray (the wife and author), speaks of multiple occasions where they mentioned to another walker that they had become homeless, and that they walked away quickly almost fearfully. As someone reading this through the eyes of Ray, this seems horribly unfair. It makes clear that the stigma attached to homelessness makes one think of mental illness or drug problem. In any case certainly not someone who you want to spend time with. This aspect to the novel has inspired me to strive to take action against homelessness; donating or helping however I can.

A further reason why it has shaped my world, is that as a book, it transported me completely to this landscape of the southwest. Raynor Winn beautifully writes about the undulation in the cornish landscape. She describes so vividly, the way she felt walking along the path, and the colour of the land, sea and sky. It is reminiscent of art and literature of the Romantic Period; a period with which I align my own art,  music and psychology. Dealing with nature and becoming lost in the natural world, giving a sense of its power over us.  Winn’s use of literary devices is effective and despite the charming colloquialisms with which much of the book is written, it still transported me like nothing else has. 

Another reason as to why the book has shaped my world, is that during the narrative, there is a constant and obvious fight between Ray’s emotions. One moment they seem to be enjoying themselves, finding themselves totally separate from all their troubles and finally free. The next moment, however, she may be describing how stupid she feels for thinking that they could do this, or remembering that they are homeless and suddenly feeling very alone and isolated in her own sadness, often writing in a very rapid and panicky tone, as if she is right there with you. Through this, themes of Love and Death are explored. Her constant fears and Moth dying, but her overwhelming and undying love for him. She speaks of regret and how she feels silly for thinking they could overcome this challenge. 

The book explores the realities of death and making sure that you live while you can. Ray made the decision to embark on this journey as she wanted an escape and not having to face years of caring for Moth, just waiting for him to choke to death. The book has inspired me to think more carefully about what I do day to day. Although cliche, it really has put into perspective the concepts of life being too sort and living while you can. 

Finally, the book combines several different styles, forming a piece of writing that it very inspiring to those who want to write. The book is a romantic novel, but its also a dairy and even textbook. It aims to inform people on the facts of being homeless whilst also telling this amazing story, that one literally couldn’t make up. I personally found the information this book introduced to be shocking, as well as feeling inspired by the narrative itself. 

*

In summary, this is a series of reasons as to why I chose The Salt Path as a novel that has shaped my world. Through defining what I think it means to shape my world, I realised that this book aligned perfectly with many of my own thoughts and views on the world as well as it inspiring me to take action on homelessness whenever I can, and further inspiring me to change my outlook on certain issues explored by this book. 


Comments