Poetry: Glacial Calving

In Mrs Garcia's Year 7 Geography class, Aryan Ahmed,  Cecilia Cameron and Siha Hoque have been studying glacial calving - the breaking of a mass of ice from a glacier, iceberg, ice shelf or ice front. 

(image: Wiki Commons)


A chunk of ice,
I want to break free.
The world is nice,
So let me retreat in glee.

So large so vast,
I escape in to the world,
Connection is the pasts,
I turned and swirled.

Into the unknown,
Travelling the sea.
Oh I'm so alone,
Where will I be?

Beware, said ships
You're not unbreakable 
Hang on to those grips,
I am very capable.

A journey's end,
I became what I was before.
I will recycle and mend,
And give you more.


Aryan Ahmed


Glacial calving is where the ice 
starts cracking and the sea starts 
rushing in,

All the cracks are filled 

as the water builds 
so the ice can break away.

Due to global warming, 

land is transforming 
and there is nothing more to say, 
but hey!

There's a way that we can stop this; 

by not listening to the nonsense 
that Donald Trump has to say!

Cecilia Cameron




Glacial calving, 

Once so slow,
Is going faster
In a steady flow,
Thrashing and crashing,
The freezing sea
Continuously mashing,
Accumulated chunks of snow,
Rising the sea levels,
Ice being thrown,
Birds are flying
Away from the raging sea 
Some are dying,
In the dangerous ocean waves,
Global warming,
Is definitely causing,
The ocean to start storming,
Through beautiful structures of snow and ice.

Siha Hoque

Comments