Books I've Been Meaning to Read - And Now Have The Chance To

by Tilly Goldman



Books that I have been intending to read for ages but haven’t got around to


At this point, only a few days into three weeks of social distancing and quarantine I find myself looking for things to do. For a lot of people what comes to mind are books (alongside Netflix and Disney +). Thankfully, I seem to have been saving a lot up just for this moment and I have listed a few below that I have been meaning to read for years but have never really got around too but now I have the chance!

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen - Having claimed to be a huge fan of Pride and Prejudice, something that I rarely mention is that I have never actually read the book and base my love solely off of the BBC remake with Colin Firth. Although I think this is fairly justified as it is a very good show (and I would recommend it to anyone with access to Netflix) I have always felt a little bit fake having never read the well-known classic. I think I was put off the style of language when attempting a couple of years ago, but I now feel ready to try it! Luckily, it was already on my bookshelf before we were all confined to our houses as I am a serial superficial book buyer: I have multiple unread books that I only really bought for the pretty cover. However, this is certainly on the top of my list as it is an absolute classic romance novel that I really have to read!


The Beach, Alex Garland – This was, again, bought because the cover is GORGEOUS (sunset colours) and seemed perfect for summer… Frankly, I would not have normally picked this book as it is described as a “coming-of-age” book which often seems to signify cheesy, overdramatic and unrealistic, however, it’s mixture of colourful travel description, pretty cover and the philosophical evoked by a brutal commentary on social breakdown and how human’s react to the appearance of paradise seemed intriguing.

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott – This is yet another classic that has been on my shelf a long time in need of reading. I bought it fairly recently having become immediately enamoured with the vibrant and spirited characters portrayed in the recent film. Again, I feel a little bit artificial being prompted to read such a well-loved classic by a film, however, I am still looking forward to reading it despite already knowing the ending. What I loved about the film was how each of the sisters seemed so different in their character but still come together when facing each of their own challenges in growing up.




Comments