Writing Wizards: Why I Love 'Murder Most Unladylike'

Portsmouth Point editors have enjoyed working with Year 6's 'Writing Wizards', this term, who have written a series of articles that we are delighted to publish. This article is by Eva Burkinshaw.



Murder Most Unladylike is a unique mystery series, written by Robin Stevens about a pair of boarding school girls who investigate and solve murders.

One thing that I love about this series is that it is set in the 1930s which appeals to me because of my interest in history. One book is set in China, one on the Orient Express, one at the British Museum, one at Cambridge University and one in an English country mansion, as well as others set in a boarding school. The exotic locations are part of what make these books so fun to read.

I like the fact that Robin Stevens combines different genres from murder mystery to adventure and travel. She also writes about what it is like to be a teenager, as the girls get older in each story. As well as being about murder and solving crimes, the books talk about relationships and friendships.

In each story, there are clever twists and unexpected events which keep you turning the page right to the end. No matter how hard I try, I rarely manage to guess the murderer, except in 'First Class Murder' where I was proud of working out who did it. In every book there is a different story line and no books are similar, they are all unique.
The two main characters are Daisy Wells, an ambitious and confident girl who thinks the whole world revolves around he. Her best friend and detective partner is Hazel Wong, who is from China and self conscious because she has move to a different culture. In contrast to Daisy Hazel is quiet and thoughtful. Together they make a brilliant team.
I would recommend these books to everyone. They have also inspired me to read the fantastic Agatha Christie including The Murder of Roger Ackroyd and Murder on the Orient Express.

Comments