Poetry: One to Six

As part of Ignite Day, Year 12s went on a walking poetry workshop along the River Test at Mottisfont. We spent time in nature, recording and reflecting on the sensory elements around us. We then went to Mottisfont House and shaped and crafted the ideas mined throughout the day, using a final structural device by starting every line with ‘and’ to lend poems an immediacy and energy. Thank you to Mrs Bell and Mr Richardson for organising this trip.  



ONE

And that was it
and that was that
and that was all
and that was over
and that was the end
and that was everything
and that was it
and that was how it began
and that was how it started
and that was what sparked it
and that was the beginning
and that was it

Jonathan Yang




TWO

And as I stepped out
into the blazing sun
I realised it’s things like
climbing a tree – in the shade, in the risk – in the view-
in the small but worthy heights of
accomplishments –

And the slight sweat stretch of skin and warming of sore muscles –
that makes life worth living.

And I’ll set out
under the sun
again,
if only to find another such tree

and to be out of reach of a foreboding sense of constraint.

Sara Eftakhari


THREE

And I breathe the fresh air
and walk towards the shallow river
and I’m transported back to my childhood
and I remember a summer day
and taking off my shoes
and I remember the cool water around my ankles
and I remember the stones
between my tiny toes
and I remember laughing
and I wish I could be that carefree little girl again

Saskia Egland Jenson


 FOUR

And we sat under a tree
And we wrote about love, for what is this, but love?
And I realised there is no breach in the skin of the earth; and
grown children shimmered in the distance
breaking the skin on their world;
and jet-green beetles glimmered and hovered
and clover and buttercups
and daisies, daisies rioting-
and hearts breathed in violet foxgloves and tender swirl of water
and the dung bloomed next to the buttercups and flies feasted
and white flashes danced dog fights
in the nests of nettle
and the sun/air moved the reeds
and there was a spire, behind a hill,
and the hill was behind the trees
and the trees were behind the water
and the peacock joy of the dragonflies
sang out loud.

Emma Bell

FIVE

And I guess we did have a good time
and you laughed at me,
and I laughed with you
and the jokes could have caused offence, and maybe got us into trouble-
and I would always say I have no regrets
and we both know that’s not true.

And it could have gone better
and I could have walked you home,
and we would still laugh at your stupidity-
and I would leave you for the night
And feel better about myself
And maybe not be the mess I’m in-

And I wish that happened.

Ethan Simmonds


SIX
And the path into the unknown
And the racket of crickets in the wilderness of bushes
And only the flirt of butterflies inhabits it
And only the twist and turn of nettle fortifies the ground

And the path into the unknown
And the trout serenade through the river
And aqua life
And continue beyond the sight of us all into the looming bridge

And the path into the unknown
And as that river meanders further
And the population decreases, humanity excels in placing pipeline
And protecting fence to prevent others from jumping towards the now corrupted river

And the path into the unknown
And beyond the fence where beauty
And nature reclaim
And towers to heavenly extremes
And only a cathedral spire can be seen from a specific angle

And the path into the unknown
And before the towering greenery the water glides in formation
And with elegance
And one small tributary becomes a tribute to exploration
And makes a small detour.

Nature's attempt into the path of the unknown.

Sacha Hemingway





Comments