PGS Pupil, Imogen Stewart, Wins a Top Literary Prize



Jackie Morris, winner of the Greenaway Medal for illustration, Konnie Huq, broadcaster and writer,
Imogen Stewart PGS Year 8 pupil and Elizabeth Acevedo, winner of the Carnegie Medal.

PGS pupil Imogen Stewart (Year 8) wrote the winning story for the ALCS CKG 2019 Writing Competition, an extremely prestigious award and a superb achievement. 

Imogen entered her story as a result of being part of the PGS Rebel Readers Club. If you would like to join the Rebel Readers Club, please contact Dr Webb in the PGS Library. 


Here is Imogen's prize-winning story:




Dear Diary,

The urge to take the pearl is killing me. I have been trapped in Shadow Manse for seven days now. Orfeo wants me to learn ancient magic, to become powerful like him.

Each day he lets me hold the pearl for a few moments or even a few minutes. I can’t resist feeling the power surge through my veins. The feeling of what it is like to be powerful overcomes my soul. I can see myself at his side, ruling the oceans – but I can’t let myself disappoint the others. If I do, I will have failed.

My father being ashamed of me always drove me to do better when I was young, but now I have met Sera, it’s her and the others’ compassion that drives me to complete my mission. There is no ways the others could even get close to him without being tortured or killed for information.

When I first swam into the Isle’s caves, there was no way I would have signed up to this job, but Des helped me gain something I didn’t have – self-belief. In Ondalina a mer without magic was not considered strong. They were weak and of no use. However, after Des saved me from the Quanikk and kissed me, I knew that I was wanted. I wasn’t just some weak misfit to him.

The things I wanted to say to him were hard to keep bottled up, so I left it too long. I may never get the chance to tell him, as we both might not survive this murderous war that is brewing. Orfeo thinks he can trust me as I am his blood, but my heart is my own. The magic that Thalassa is teaching me will help me win. He is coming. I have got to go.

Astrid

Comments

Post a Comment

Comments with names are more likely to be published.