"My Perfect Christmas": Mr Doyle, Mrs Kirby and Mr Rees


Mr Doyle:

What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
Either 'O Holy Night', because the music takes me on a journey (it really soars as it moves through) or Dame Shirley singing 'Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire' (for obvious reasons)!
What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
Alastair Sim's 'Scrooge - just a perfect film for Xmas. 
What is your favourite Christmas book/story and why?
It has to be Beatrix Potter's 'The Tailor of Gloucester' - although this Christmas I will be reading 'Blame My Brain: The Amazing Teenage Brain Revealed' by Nicola Morgan.
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink and why?
Fillet of beef in pastry - it is a real pleaser and you have to go to some trouble to make it properly, so showing someone has made the effort. Also: champagne, malt - anything with a %!
What was the worst present you ever received?
A plastic cowboy figure - about three inches tall - from my godmother!
What present are you hoping for this Christmas?
I bought myself the one I wanted - so, any cook book for a cuisine I have yet to try to cook.
What do you like best and/or least about Christmas and/or New Years?
Xmas Eve and the anticipation of the lovely day to come. Worst – sprouts! I have never enjoyed the New Year celebrations, so do not partake!




Mrs Kirby:


What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why? 
'White Christmas', Bing Crosby. Classic. I also adore Judy Garland's version of 'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas'. Vintage Americana.
What is your favourite Christmas film and why? 
'White Christmas' closely followed by 'The Muppet Christmas Carol'. The latter is the best version of Dickens' story by a mile.
What is your favourite Christmas book/story and why? 
'The Night before Christmas'. I always used to read this with my dad on Christmas Eve.
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink and why? 
Mince pies, obviously, and red wine (does this count?).
What was the worst present you ever received? Christmas paper napkins - three of them.
What present are you hoping for this Christmas? 
A fire stick.
What do you like best and/or least about Christmas and/or New Year?
I've always loved all things Christmas, but now - with children - the sheer magic of it is suddenly doubled. I find the sentimentality of New Year tedious, but it is a good excuse for a party. 






Mr Rees:

What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
'Merry Christmas Everybody', because I love Slade.
What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
A very tough one........ Either - 'Home Alone 2' for the line "Merry Christmas, you filthy animal"
or - 'National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation' (the grandparents wrapping up the cat is really funny).
What is your favourite Christmas book/story and why?
'The Jolly Christmas Postman': it reminds me of when Father Christmas was real.
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink and why?
Smoked salmon for breakfast on Christmas Day.
What was the worst present you ever received?
The in-laws normally buy me socks, however, they upped the anti and bought me a torch this year.
What present are you hoping for this Christmas?
A Sonos speaker system.
What do you like best and/or least about Christmas and/or New Year?
Best: I have 10 nieces and nephews so celebrating with them is always a lovely way to spend Christmas Day. Least: putting our house back together after it has been trashed by the aforementioned nieces and nephews. 





Comments