Teachers' Perfect Christmas: Dr Smith and Ms Stephenson

Dr Smith:


What is your favourite Christmas song/carol and why?
Personent Hodie: In style, to my ear, much more of a true carol than many of the other more famous ‘carols’."

What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
Scrooge; because it has Alistair Sim in it.




What is your favourite Christmas book or poem and why?
 St Luke's infancy narrative (enough said).

What is your favourite Christmas food/drink?
Christmas cake (the icing bit thereof) / vintage port.

What was the best Christmas gift you ever received?
When I was a child I loved receiving Lego.

What do you most look forward to about Christmas?
Mass, and the fact that Christmastide lasts twelve days.



Ms Stephenson:

What is your favourite Christmas song/carol and why?

Santa Claus is Coming to Town by Bruce Springsteen because it is performed with his E Street Band and also it brings back great memories of seeing him at the O2 in 2007. I was at the front with my daughter and a good friend when they played this as the finale to a great concert which had lasted over three hours. The best bit was at the very end when Bruce said, "We'll see you in the summer time!" (you can still see this on YouTube, below) so we knew we had some more great concerts to look forward to in the near future. Of course, the band all wearing silly head ornaments or hats passed to them from the crowd was also a highlight and you have the great Clarence Clemons on sax and doing 'Santa's laugh'.




What is your favourite Christmas film and why?

 You can't beat James Stewart in 'It's A Wonderful Life' because it is a lovely, heart-warming story of a community coming together to support someone and it also shows how each person does things in their life which do make a positive difference even though at times we may wish we hadn't been born. It also takes me back to the first time I saw it on TV when I was little. 

What is your favourite Christmas book or poem and why?

      Dickens' Christmas Carol is a great story with the ghosts and the way in which Scrooge's character changes over the years and over the course of one night. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas by Clement Clarke Moore: when my children were small, we had a lovely picture book of the poem which we got out each year and read together. 
      
      What is your favourite Christmas food/drink?
     Christmas dinner - with ALL the trimmings. I love the combination of all the flavours, including 'pigs in blankets', stuffing, bread sauce and cranberry sauce. 

What was the best gift you ever received?
     A pyjama case which I got when I was about 7 and it was a dog which looked like it was asleep on my bed. Since I wasn't allowed a dog, it was the next best thing!

What do you most look forward to about Christmas?
Spending time with family and friends because for me that is what Christmas should be about.

Comments