Sappho: The Power of Love

 by Alex Clarke

I have thoroughly enjoyed teaching Sappho’s poetry this year as part of the A level Classical Civilisation course.


It is thought that she was born in around 615-600 BC and her poetry explores the difficulties of love as well as its power.  I recently discussed a selection of her poems at the Diversity and Inclusion Society with pupils and staff.

Love shook my soul, 

Like a wind buffeting oak trees

On a mountain

I put forward a common view of this poem that it highlights the destructive power of love. Pupils questioned whether in fact there is another interpretation that we all have the power within ourselves, like strong oak trees, to withstand the pain which love causes and to become stronger from it. A brilliant alternative reading, I thought.

You will remember

What we did

When we were young,

Many, beautiful things

I like this version Sappho presents of herself here; reflective and joyful. She invites the reader  to think back and remember the heady day of youth; perhaps alluding to sexual experimentation and discovery. Pupils liked the vague nature of the phrase ‘many, beautiful things’ which suggested an older Sappho reminiscing on her earlier experiences which they pointed out did not need to refer to sex! 

If you care about me,

Find the bed of a younger woman,

For I never want to be the older one

In a relationship

I think this is a sad poem where Sappho says she doesn’t want to be the older lover in a relationship; we discussed whether this is Sappho passing on advice which she has previously been given. It seems to me to point to feelings of insecurity which Sappo is experiencing. Pupils observed that in other poems Sappho enjoys being the older lover in a relationship which allows her to take a nurturing role; we discussed the contradictory nature of the views Sappho presented herself. 

It was a brilliant seminar due to the fantastic ideas put forward by pupils. I look forward to presenting again on Ovid and Plato next term.


Comments