2: What PGS Staff Are Reading This Summer

Mark Hipperson


I have read Born to Run once before, but I am going to try and read it in Spanish this time (it is going to take me a while). 

It tells the story of Caballo Blanco, an American ultra-runner who lives with the Tarahumara Indians, a Mexican tribe famed for their ability as ultra-runners. The author tracks him down to learn more about his story as he embarks on his own ultra-marathon journey. 

It is a beautifully written story, which left me in awe, inspiration, laughter and at times sadness, which really took me on a journey. I have always loved running and while being completely without talent for it, this book inspired me to train and to take part in my first ultra-marathon.





Bryony Hart 

This summer, I am reading an unpublished book by the American YA novelist Maureen Johnson who writes mystery fiction, and it is due for publication in August. I am reviewing the book for the School Reading List, an online recommendation website for teachers, parents, and children. I’ve already made a start and I am getting Gatsby vibes from the split narrative, which shifts between modern day and 1932, set on a Thousand Islands, in the US.

I am reading Linda Lear’s Beatrix Potter biography, after being entirely consumed by the Wordsworths last summer (binging on Dorothy’s journals, and a few of her biographies).

In terms of fiction, I want to read Exit Left, as recommended by Dr Webb and Dawn Sands (Y12), so I need to get a copy from the library before July!

I am doing some author research as well for future JS events at PGS, so will be reading The Map of Leaves by the local New Forest writer Yarrow Townsend. 


Richard Bristow


This summer I am looking forward to reading a range of different books. First on my list is a book recommended to me by Mr Wickes - Eurovision! (Chris West)- which is looking at the history of Modern Europe through the song contest. I'm looking forward to understanding more about how the culture, politics, technology and musical tastes have changed since the contest started in 1956.
 

On a similar historical note, I'm also looking forward to reading The Picnic by Matthew Longo. Based in August 1989, a group of Hungarian activists entered the forbidden militarised zone of the Iron Curtain and held - a picnic. I'm looking forward to understanding how this message got out to so many people in an era before social media and mobiles, how hundreds of people crossed from the East to the West, and how this linked to future events including the ultimate end of the Soviet Union.

Finally, I found a book at the weekend that I can't wait to start reading: Jonn Elledge's A History of the World in 47 Borders. History and Geography combined - what's not to love! This book tells the stories of borders of countries around the world, linking to the political identities of the people who are often defined by them, and looking at their creation - sometimes based on geographical features, and other times based on arbitrary factors. 


Comments