1: What PGS Staff Are Reading this Summer

 

Kimberley Leighton-Smith

Reading is my ultimate escape and I have always loved it. The summer holidays provides a bit more of an opportunity to read, so I always have a few books ready. I have to admit that in the holidays and down time, where I am looking to switch off and unwind,I always unashamedly opt for fiction, and nothing too intellectually challenging, and my favourite genre of book is mystery/crime/thriller. I also have a strange quirk where I never, ever read the synopsis of any book as I like to have a surprise! This means my summer reading, as with all my reading, is based on the criteria: authors I have read before and really enjoyed (this is why I have Everyone Here is Lying by Shari Lapena on my list), books that have an intriguing title or cover The Dream Home by TM Logan or, very importantly, books my Mum has enjoyed and thinks I would like An Eye for an Eye by M J Arlidge. (quote from My Mum: ‘It is really good, I think you will love it, it’s very disturbing.’ – not sure what to read into that comment!! One of my favourite things to do is go on a long train journey with a nice coffee and a good book (and peace and quiet with no one needing my attention) and I hope to do a few of these in the upcoming holidays to make my way through my reading list!


James Valente

I am planning on reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, and The Plot Against America by Philip Roth. Both books would fall into the 'alternate history' category - where something dramatically different happens in the past that changes the future, but also makes us think about how easily our own world could fall into a completely different state where things are drastically worse. I decided to read both of these after reading the book American War by Omar El Akkad. In American War, the United States is torn apart by a civil war and experiences a very different world where they are no longer a superpower. Thanks must go to Mr Wickes for the recommendation of El Akkad's book - which was a real page-turner. The two books I'm planning on reading have similar ideas, but in a very different world - one where society is torn apart by fascism and one where the world of comic books is altered to reflect real-life politics. Both came highly recommended to me based on reading American War and have outstanding authors who publish to acclaim on a regular basis. 

Hywel Stayte

A few months ago I decided that I needed to be a better role model for my children in terms of my reading. I have always been a big fan of films and would more often than not reach for the DVD rather than the book. My eldest daughter is a very keen reader and into the Harry Potter series by JK Rowling. Now, I have seen all of the films but not once have I read the books. As some of you already know I have been working my way through all of the books and I am currently on book five Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. My plans are to complete this book and also books 6 and 7 over the summer. I know there are a lot of Harry Potter fans out there but if you have never read the series I would recommend giving it a try. It is nice, easy and entertaining reading which has been perfect for me as a relatively novice fiction reader.




Emma Kirby

I recommend Daisy Johnson’s Everything Under. This novel was actually shortlisted for the Man Booker over five years ago, but I’ve only just come to it having listened to Johnson’s series of stories called The Hotel on BBC Sounds (superb – worth a listen). Everything Under is a dark, unsettling, Sophoclean-inspired story set in modern day Britain. At the center of it is the strange relationship between a mother and daughter. It makes for uncomfortable reading at times, and Johnson’s prose style is both lyrical and stripped back. It’s not exactly an easy ‘by the pool read’, but if you’re up for something that will get you thinking (and grimacing) then I highly recommend this book.





Comments