Poems: 'Quasar', 'Food Chains' and 'Asperitas'

 by Rowan Reddy




Quasar

Pomegranate seeds drip from the gibbous moon

Every speck of light has been dragged beyond the event horizon

Peel strips of rind off the dark red moon

And scrape out its innards with a silver spoon


Food Chains

Swallowed by the ravening abyss

By beetles, by crows, by starving foxes

Struggling infinitely against the grain

Foetal

A zodiac of carrion instinct

A dog wiping bloody feathers from its jaws as its innards are pecked apart

Extinct 

The first and final wingbeats of a cooling heart


Asperitas

I watch the stars fade and wish on every one

The static behind my eyes sickens to be free

My thoughts, sharply feathered, soar too close to the sun

I am cocooned in skin that doesn’t belong to me 


The ringing of silence is unbearably loud

Gravity prickles down my neck

I plummet weightlessly into the cloud The Earth below me is a forgettable speck


Comments