Voting to Make Our Coasts Cleaner

 by Max Budgen


I am standing for election to the West Sussex Youth Cabinet, representing Chichester, with the aim of fighting to make our coasts cleaner and creating a more sustainable future. 

I would like to be elected to the West Sussex Youth Cabinet because I believe in the power of young people to be the difference this country needs. Change has never been more needed, especially in the current climate situation, and I'm passionate about letting young people's voices be heard.

In 2018, the Education Secretary, urged all schools to eliminate their use of single-use plastics by 2022. This has not happened, and soon there will be no stopping the mess previous generations have created for us to clean up. But we all have a role to play in driving sustainability and driving out plastic waste. So, I have made it my personal mission to do this. In my role in the West Sussex Youth Cabinet, the first question I would ask is: what can we do to reduce our use of plastic in schools in Chichester and across West Sussex.

I have already picked up useful skills to do this and, as an active member of my school community and as an elected member of the Council of Portsmouth Students (COPS), I will listen to young people's views and collaborate with local charities to help achieve my goal.

The last year has shown us more than ever that when we commit to making change we can make a difference. And, starting with the small things first, we can make this country and world a better place to live in. 

You can vote for the Youth Cabinet here. If you would like to vote for me, please select your area as Chichester: https://yourvoice.westsussex.gov.uk/wsyc.

Comments