Memorable Speeches from 'Gladiator', Translated into Latin

by Rebecca Stone



(cue epic Hans Zimmer music)



Maximus: Fratres... three weeks from now I will be harvesting my crops, imagine where you will be and it will be so. Hold the lines, stay with me. If you find yourself alone riding in green fields with the sun on your face, do not be troubled, for you are in Elysium and you're already dead! Brothers, what we do in life echoes in eternity.
fratres... diebus viginti frumenta mea metam, meditamini ubi eris atque ita erit. tenete lineam, mecum manete. si, soli, equtans in viridi agri, sole fulgente in vultu, nolite timere, quod estis in Eliysium et iam mortui! fratres, quod in vita faciemus in aeternum resonat.


Maximus: Five-thousand of my men are out there in the freezing mud. Three-thousand of them are bloodied and cleaved. Two thousand will never leave this place. I will not believe they fought and died for nothing.
            Quinque milia militum meorum ibi foris sunt, in algido luto. Tria milia eorum vulnerant et lacerati. Duo milia eorum numquam hinc relinquent. Non credam sine causa eos pugnavisse et mortuum esse.


Emperor Marcus Aurelius: I am dying, Maximus. When a man sees his end, he wants to know there was some purpose to his life. How will the world speak my name in years to come? Will I be known as the philosopher? The warrior? The tyrant? Or will I be the emperor who gave Rome back her true self? There was once a dream that was Rome.
            moriar, Maxime. cum vir finem suae vitae sentit, vult scire se non sine causa vixisse. Quo modo mundus nomen mihi loquerit posteri? ut philosophus aut vir militaris aut tyrannus sciar? Aut imperator ero qui Romae veram naturam suam reddidit?


Maximus: My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife, and I will have my vengeance in this life, or the next.
            nomen mihi, Maximus Decimus Meridius, est, imperatus exercituum borei, praefectus legionum felicium, fidelis minister veri imeratoris Marci Aurelii. Pater filii occisi, coniux uxoris occisae. et consequam meam ultiorem in hac vita aut postera.


Comments