PGS' Teachers' Perfect Christmas: Mrs Jackson, Mr Goad and Mr Charles

Portsmouth Point editors asked PGS teachers to share what they most (and least) like about Christmas. We hear from Mrs Jackson, Mr Goad and Mr Charles. 

Mrs Jackson






What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
Merry Christmas Everyone by Slade - it was released during my youth (yes, I am that old!)
What is your favourite Christmas book/poem and why?
'Twas the Night Before Christmas - my auntie used to read this to me every Christmas Eve and then I read it to my children every year when they were young.
What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
It's a Wonderful Life - classic film and must be everyone's favourite.
What were the best and worst Christmas presents you ever received?
Best - Sony Walkman: I was so made up. Worst - pack of cocktail sticks. Why would anyone give those???
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink?
Food - Duck in Port Sauce (a Christmas Eve tradition). Drink - hot chocolate with brandy out on the slopes whilst skiing. 
What do you like most/least about Christmas?
Most - going skiing.
Least - having to think about getting presents and sending cards.


     Mr Goad




What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
The Pogues and Kirsty MacColl: Fairy Tale of New York. Rather depressing, I know, but I like the tune and the juxtaposition of Kirsty's clean vowel sounds against the growl from Shane MacGowan.
What is your favourite Christmas book/poem and why?
      Kipper's Christmas Eve - is it better to give or receive? An important question . . . (I also love the mouse). 
      What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
      Nativity 2: Danger in the Manger. An epic battle against evil villains, an Homeric journey . . . it has all the hallmarks of a classic.
      What are the best and worst Christmas gifts you ever received?                                                         I once gave Mr Ashcroft a slanket that smelled awful (does this count?). The slanket was intentional, but the smell wasn't.
      What is you favourite Christmas food/drink?
      Butter melting over i) mince pies, ii) Christmas pud and iii) frankly, anything else you can get away with.   
      What do you like most/least about Christmas and New Year?
      Most: singing carols (I wish we could sing them all year).
      Least: a sense of expectation/entitlement that can creep in.

           
     Mr Charles






What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?    
Tomorrow Shall be my Dancing Day by John Gardner. Happy, joyful, syncopated version of this traditional carol. Reminds me of my former career singing in cathedral choirs. 

What is your favourite Christmas book/poem and why?    
A Christmas Carol. Just evocative of Christmases past, present and future for me. 

What is your favourite Christmas film and why?       
It’s a Wonderful Life closely followed by Home Alone. I love Jimmy Stewart in the former and the clear message in the film is that kindness and caring for your community is key to ultimate happiness. Watching the latter with my children means happy times. 

What are the best and worst Christmas gifts you ever received? 
Best: anything from my wife and children. Worst: I shouldn’t ever be ungrateful because any present means that someone has thought about you and they are being kind. Having said that, I have to admit not being a huge fan of Christmas ties.

 What is your favourite Christmas food/drink?          
Pigs in blankets. Meat wrapped in meat - what’s not to like? My mum’s stuffing for the turkey.

What do you like most/least about Christmas and New Year?  
Most - Being with my family and friends. Singing carols. 
Least - the fact that preparation for Christmas in the commercial world seems to start in mid-September.

Comments