PGS' Teachers' Perfect Christmas II: Mr Rees, Dr Purves and Mr Doyle

Portsmouth Point editors asked PGS teachers to share what they most (and least) like about Christmas. We hear from Mr Rees, Dr Purves and Mr Doyle. 

Mr Rees




What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
It has to be 'Merry Christmas Everybody'. I'm a big Slade fan!
What is your favourite Christmas book/poem and why? 
The Jolly Christmas Postman because it is very jolly.
What is your favourite Christmas film and why? 
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation - so many funny moments, particularly the bit where Clark is putting up the Christmas lights on the roof. 
What are the best and worst Christmas gifts you ever received? 
One year, Mrs Rees gave me a ladder. It doesn't get any better than that.
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink?
I actually look forward to Christmas morning breakfast more than Christmas dinner. Smoked salmon and poached eggs!
What do you like most/least about Christmas and New Year?
The best thing about Christmas is being able to spend more time with my family and friends. The worst thing is New Year's Eve; it's like being forced to have a party.

Dr Purves



What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
I am going to choose three. Oh Holy Night - don’t know why, I just like it.  Band Aid, Do They Know It’s Christmas - for the enduring poignancy. Fairytale of New York – Pogues and Kirsty Macoll, as it is just brilliant.
What is your favourite Christmas book/poem and why?
Aliens Love Panta Claus is a current favourite in my household.
What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
I am currently enjoying watching a whole host of films with my children, which I missed when they first came out, so would probably go for something like Arthur Christmas.
What are the best and worst Christmas gifts you ever received?
Best would be the family tickets to see the local pantomime last year, and to see my children enjoying the same jokes from the same actors as much as I remember doing many years earlier.  I wouldn’t be nearly so mean-spirited as to contemplate the worst; if someone has taken the time and given me a gift, then I would appreciate the sentiment, and value that!
 What is your favourite Christmas food/drink?
Roast goose – it is delicious.
 What do you like most/least about Christmas and New Year?
Time with my family, and good pantomimes!  And for what I like least – I think it is a time that can really highlight the great disparities between different people in society and that, while joyous for many, it is a very difficult time for some.


Mr Doyle




What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why? 
Oh Holy Night - my favourite piece since childhood - sums up Christmas perfectly when I was a child / equal first - White Christmas by Bing Crosby - this is the first play on the album that goes on in August when I bake my Christmas cakes; it has to be played or the cakes will not bake!!
What is your favourite Christmas book/poem and why? 
'Winter Time' by Robert Louis Stevenson - I always knew the poem but it came alive when I first visited Vermont before Christmas. The idea of "Close by the jolly fire I sit to warm my frozen bones a bit" really was true after my first day's skiing!  
What is your favourite Christmas film and why? 
Scrooge - the Alastair Sim version - he is simply sublime in the role and a real Christmas is here moment when it is on 4.   
What are the best and worst Christmas gifts you ever received? 
Best: airline tickets / Worst - not sure I have ever had a worst ... 
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink? 
A well-roasted ham - fabulous to tuck into for Christmas evening sandwiches / drink - any excuse to get champagne pouring !  
What do you like most/least about Christmas and New Year? 
Most - proper winter weather - snow and cold to let you know it is winter! 
Least - last-minute shopping crowds - ideally, I would have the supermarkets to myself!

Comments