PGS Pupils' Perfect Christmas

Some of the Portsmouth Point editors share what they enjoy most about Christmas.


Sudeep Ghosh


What is your favourite Christmas song?
Band Aid - Do They Know It's Christmas? : The song captures the beauty of Christmas whilst also tackling some serious issues.

What is your favourite Christmas book?
Charles Dickens - A Christmas Carol : Ebeneezer Scrooge's transition from misery to happiness perfectly embodies the Christmas Spirit.

What is your favourite Christmas film?
Home Alone - It's a classic.

What were your best and worst gifts?
Best Gift: Beats Headphones.
Worst Gift: The infamous pair of socks.

What is your favourite Christmas food?
Advent Calendar chocolate, as it signifies that Christmas is near.

What do you like most and least about Christmas?
Most: 3 Weeks Holiday
Least: The bitterly cold weather.


Claudia Bishop

What is your favourite Christmas film?
My favourite Christmas film has to be The Holiday and I watch it every year with my family. It has that Christmas feel and a feel good ending that always makes me smile. I really recommended this film if you haven’t watched it.

Philippa Noble


What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
'Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas' is a personal favourite, but nothing beats the memories of dancing to 'Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree', decorating the tree with my family.



What is your favourite Christmas book/poem and why?
A Christmas Carol has followed me from childhood, through my Year 5 nativity, and into my teenage years.

What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
I remember sitting down as a child, with family friends gathered round, to watch Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer with hot chocolate. I don’t think any other memory of a Christmas film has stuck with me as much as that has.

What are the best and worst Christmas gifts you ever received?
The best gift I’ve ever received has to be from this year (in my friends’ Secret Santa). As I’m learning a language, my friend got me a bilingual book of short stories - with translations underneath each line. I am so excited to get stuck into it this holiday. I’m not sure any gift can really class as the worst that I’ve ever received - or at least, none of them were so bad that I can remember them.

What is your favourite Christmas food/drink?
Around Christmas, I fully enjoy the acceptability of eating gingerbread at all times of day. Spices, for me, are the best thing that Christmas brings to the table (literally) and I make sure I never miss a spiced drink/snack opportunity.

What do you like most/least about Christmas and New Year?

For Christmas and New Year, the one thing I like the most is the weather. Yes, there might be some rain and stormy weather, but there’s always sunny but frosty mornings that are perfect for a family walk.

Zoe Rademacher




What is your favourite Christmas song?
I love the original German carols "O Tannenbaum" and "Stille Nacht", also known as "O Christmas Tree" and "Silent Night". I've spent a lot of Christmases in Germany and these songs always remind me of the time I spent with my family there.

What is your favourite Christmas story or poem?
I think 'In the Bleak Midwinter' is a beautiful poem by Christina Rosetti; it really brings Christmas back down to its basics: generosity and kindness.

What is your favourite Christmas film?
I'd have to say  Miracle on 34th Street; for me, it just epitomizes a feel-good Christmas film.



What were the best and worst Christmas presents you have received?
The best was probably a beautiful antique piano. However any gift is good;I have yet to receive a poor one.

What is your favourite Christmas food?
I adore my Dad's roast potatoes, they are to die for.

What are the best and worst things about Christmas?
For me, the best and worst times at Christmas are always down to my family, but I think that's what makes Christmas so Christmassy.




Comments