What PGS Teachers Will Be Reading This Summer

The summer holidays are the perfect time to catch up on some reading. 

Here, Dr Purves, Mr Richardson and Mr Lemieux reveal what books they are looking forward to this July and August. 



Dr Purves



I am planning on finishing reading The Explorer, and The Girl Savage, both by Katherine Rundell and both of which I have been reading to my daughter.  

I am also hoping to start/finish reading a number of the books I have had the very best intentions of reading during previous holidays, as well as one new purchase: Arnhem by Anthony Beevor.





Mr Richardson

As far as plans go, it’s more an interest in Muriel Spark: I plan to read as may as I can before September. Mandlebaum Gate and The Abbess of Crewe for sure, Memento Mori and Ballad of Peckham Rye probably, but definitely Complete Short Stories, if I can find, or Bang,Bang You’re Dead, which was a collection of short stories from the 1980s.


Possibly some Ian Rankin too: I found several on my shelves that I have no recollection of reading or indeed of ever seeing before.

And something else will crop up. Will browse through the library at school and see what catches my eye. 


Mr Lemieux


Having read J.D. Vance’s Hillybilly Elegy, I now plan to read to read Arlie Hochschild’s Strangers in Their Own Land to understand a little more about the political right in America. It is by a sociologist who quits the liberal enclave of Berkeley to live for five years in the arch-conservative bayou country of Louisiana…..





Comments