"My Perfect Christmas": Ms Hart, Dr Purves and Mr Hamlet





Ms Hart


What is your favourite Christmas Song
We're Walking in the Air - reminds me of being a small child watching the film on TV with my brother and sisters. We had an old gas fire and I remember being huddled around it, melting bars of chocolate in the flames then licking the molten remains!  

What is your favourite Christmas film?
The Snowman!  The end scene is so tragic, a reminder that life is short and fragile so hold on to precious moments whenever and wherever you can.  

What is your favourite Christmas book?
A Christmas Carol.  This is a piece of genius and I re-read it every year.  The opening chapter is clever and highly amusing.  If you haven't read it, make it your top priority this holiday!  Adding to this, The Muppets Christmas Carol is the best adaptation you'll watch, so add this to the list of things to do this holiday. 

What is your favourite Christmas food and drink?
Mince pies because they are yummy.  Served with cream, of course. A cup of hot chocolate with nutmeg and cinnamon is a very close second.  

What was the worst Christmas gift you have received?
I don't think it is possible to receive a terrible gift.  If someone has gone to the effort of thinking of you, buying or making a gift, wrapping it and giving it you, that is the most wonderful in itself.  

What are the best and/or worst things about Christmas and/or the New Year?
Best thing is time with my family. I hate New Year.  What an arbitrary load of nonsense. I love Christmas.  I'm not at all religious but I love the story of Mary and Joseph, their hardship and epic journey, and the amazing birth of Jesus.  






Dr Purves

What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
Band Aid (the original), I think it is really poignant at a time of merriment and excess especially with the news real images from Michael Buerk’s first reports on the plains of Ethiopia. In terms of carols, I really love O Holy Night, the more traditional versions, I think there are a couple of really beautiful, evocative moments in it.
What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
Does The Great Escape count?
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink and why?
Roast goose, because it is just really delicious.

What was the worst present you ever received?
That would be far too mean spirited to even contemplate!
What present are you hoping for this Christmas?
I haven’t thought about it.
What do you like best and/or least about Christmas and/or New Year?
Best: Spending time with my family and, now that I have children and nephews, it is the pleasure of seeing their unbridled excitement that runs through the whole period and especially on Christmas morning.




Mr Hamlet:

What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?  
Band Aid (the original), it’s a great tune and raised loads of money!
What is your favourite Christmas film and why?  
Miracle on 34th Street; magical, and I want to believe.
What is your favourite Christmas book/story and why?  
A Christmas Carol – one of the best books ever written
What is your favourite Christmas food/drink and why?  
Warm Mince Pies and loads of cream; simply delicious, and I make my own mincemeat which may be loaded with brandy…
What was the worst present you ever received?  
A Leaf blower for the garden!
What present are you hoping for this Christmas?  
A Star Wars X Wing/AT-AT to go alongside last year’s Millenium Falcon
What do you like best and/or least about Christmas and/or New Year?  
New Year; Best bit – it’s my Birthday.  Worst bit; it’s my Birthday!




Comments