"My Perfect Christmas": Ellen Latham, Helen Jackson, Will Hall and Hermione Barrick



Ellen Latham


What is your favourite Christmas song and why?
Newsong - Back Where You Belong. It's not really a Christmas song or have anything to do with Christmas except it being a Christian song. Although we aren't religious, it's always been a family favourite, reminding us of the white Christmases we spent in Ohio when I was younger. We would all spend the day decorating the house and the tree to the backing track of the Newsong album.
What is your favourite Christmas movie and why?
I feel like the correct answer is Love, Actually, but I kind of hate that movie (I know, a controversial opinion.) My favourite movie that is always on the TV at Christmas (although again not actually a Christmas movie) is Chicken Run. I will always love it, no matter how old I am.
What is your favourite Christmas book and why?
I tend to re-read my favourite books over the holiday, even if it's for the fifth or sixth time. My favourites include: Catch 22 -  Joseph Heller, Stardust - Neil Gaiman (the movie also makes for a good watch over the holidays) and The Inheritance Cycle - Christopher Paolini.
What is your favourite Christmas food?
My favourite meal on Christmas day is breakfast/brunch. We have always had the tradition of having kedgeree, and nothing says Christmas more than the smell of smoked haddock in the morning... 
What is the worst present you ever received?
I honestly don't remember ever getting a terrible present. I'm sure when I was younger I was less than elated to receive a pair of socks, but nothing I can remember stands out as a bad present.
What are you hoping for this Christmas?
Honestly, it might sound cheesy, but just some time to relax and have fun with the family, even if it does mean getting overly-competitive playing board games. My older sister is back from university, and it's only next year that I'll be at university too, so family time for us is really special.
What do you like best/worst about Christmas and/or New Year?
The best part: I love the Christmas spirit and the anticipation building up to the day. It's not like a birthday where you're the only person in a good mood; everyone is just as excited and happy as you are.The worst part: Having to go to work and do revision for mocks in January...





Helen Jackson

What is your favourite Christmas song/piece of music and why?
WHAM! Last Christmas, because the music video raises so many questions, not least “how did no one realise George Michael was gay?”.
What is your favourite Christmas film and why?
Elf, because do I need a reason?
What is your favourite Christmas book/story and why?
The Box of Delights, because not only does it bring back nostalgic memories of children returning home from boarding school on the train to meet their governess (maybe this still happens today, I don't know), it also reminds me of the days when my parents used to read me a bedtime story.
The BBC also did a TV series in the 1980s, but I think I prefer the book a little bit more.
What is your favourite Christmas food item and why?
I'd have to go with a (properly cooked) Brussels sprout, or a nice parsnip I think.

What was the worst present you ever received?
I can't say I've ever had a bad Christmas present, but I remember one year my (younger) brother got a touch screen phone while I still had a pink Samsung slide phone. I was outraged, but his phone broke a few months later, and my crappy pink phone still works. So ha.
What present are you hoping for this Christmas?
My mum has worked for the past two Christmas days, so I'm just looking forwards to spending the day all together as a family. I also have about 30 scarves (the school’s current policy on them is breaking my heart) so I wouldn't mind another one to wear at the weekend.
What do you like best and/or least about Christmas and/or New Year?
At New Year we always watch the Hogmanay celebrations on BBC One Scotland, which are cracking. I also love the Christmas specials, and I'm highly anticipating a new series of Sherlock...






Will Hall

What is your favourite Christmas song and why?
Fairytale of New York by The Pogues and Kirst MacColl, it's just a really good song

What is your favourite Christmas movie and why?
Love Actually, the only good rom-com I've ever seen and it's got a great cast

What is your favourite Christmas book and why?
A Christmas Carol - it's the traditional Christmas story

What is your favourite Christmas food?
Pigs in blankets, there's a reason that obesity is becoming a global problem


What is the worst present you ever received?
The satsuma that always manages to find its way into my stocking each year

What are you hoping for this Christmas?
Haven't asked for anything, whatever I get will be a nice surprise

What do you like best/worst about Christmas and/or New Year?
You can eat/drink as much as you want and nobody will judge you





Hermione Barrick

What is your favourite Christmas song?
All I want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey - because it emphasises the importance of having the people you love around you or remembering them at Christmas, and it’s just a great song

What is your favourite Christmas film?
Home Alone - because it’s just a great, funny classic.

What is your favourite Christmas story?
The Snowman because of its just beautiful illustrations and lovely storyline; it will always be my favourite, as my parents read it to me when I was young.

What is your favourite Christmas food?
My favourite food is pigs in blanket, as they just taste lovely and smoky.

What’s the worst present you have received for Christmas?
I’ve never been unlucky enough to be gifted a truly awful present, but I don’t think I would ever feel bad about a present; I would probably just find it funny.

What are you hoping for this Christmas?
Nothing in particular, sorry - unless you would like a cringy answer: a fun family day. I’m not wishing for anything special.

What are you most looking forward to about Christmas and New Year?

At Christmas, I love the music, the food and a laugh with people I love. With New Year, I look forward to the parties the most - and then the prospect of a fresh new start. 




Comments