This decadent shortbread is truly irresistible and makes the perfect snack. Everything about this recipe is effortlessly easy – the hardest part is the waiting!
For the base:
· 230g of softened butter
· 110g caster sugar
· 285g plain flour
· 55g corn flour
For the caramel filling:
· 115g of butter
· 120g light brown sugar
· 4 tbsp. golden syrup
· 2 cans of condensed milk
· 1 tsp. and 1 tbsp. of salt
For the topping:
· 300g milk chocolate
1. Heat the oven to 170 degrees and line a baking tray with baking paper. Beat the butter and sugar until pale and creamy. Sift in the flour and corn flour.
2. Spread evenly onto the baking tray and chill for 20 minutes before putting in the oven for a further 20 minutes until light and golden, take out, and set aside.
3. To make the filling, put all the ingredients into a pan except the tablespoon of salt. Cook on a low heat until the butter and sugar have dissolved and turn up the heat slightly and constantly stir the caramel until it is golden. Allow the mixture to boil for five minutes.
4. Pour evenly over the shortbread and then sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of salt over it.
5. Leave to set in the fridge for an hour.
6. Melt the chocolate over a bain-marie and pour over the caramel filling and leave to set for 30 minutes.
7. Cut into squares and serve!