Three Music Genres That Are Overlooked.

by Callum Cross


Some might say I have fairly questionable taste in music. If you aren’t one of those people, then, after reading this, you may well be.

Not only do I have a taste for music spanning the 60s up till the early 00s, I also have a passionate hatred for modern artists who think a computer is a suitable instrument. This is why I thought I’d share with you the three genres that very few people have heard of (or even thought about the possibility of their existence).

Prog Rock

Prog Rock is a bit of a hit-and-miss genre; it houses my least-favourite band of the 1980s: Genesis. However, it has also spawned the greatest Canadian band of all time: RUSH, a 3-piece band with the most full sound of any 3-piece that I have ever heard thus far. They have the greatest drummer of all time, Neil Peart, and they have written countless 15+ minute songs and have been cited in my favourite film: I love you man.

Here is a link to Spirit of the Radio:


 

Viking Metal

Who can forget that Eurovision Song Contest in which some Scandinavian country played Viking metal and dressed up as some kind of bat-and-dragon hybrid and won?  Europe was stunned by this emergence but it was quickly forgotten - though not by me.

Since then, I have taken a particular interest in the band Amon Amarth. The key aspects of Viking metal are quite simple: long hair, loud music and lyrics vaguely based upon some variety of Viking mythology. I like this particular genre because of the complicated guitar riffs and solos and quick paced aggressive drumming:


 

Power Pop Punk

This particular genre is a fairly recent interest of mine and is a forgotten genre. It's upbeat and fun and can often have very creative lyrics. People label it as 90s white boy music and I feel it deserves more credit than it currently receives.



Bands that play this genre of music include Jimmy Eat World, Weezer and Fountains of Wayne (famous for writing 'Stacey’s Mom'). Keeping in tune with the Christmas song theme (as posted by Mr McGuiggan, Mr Doyle, Mr Richardson and Mrs Bell), I would like to finish with “I want an Alien for Christmas” by Fountains of Wayne:


 

Comments

  1. Have you listened to 'Keelhaul'?
    Scottish pirate heavy metal, Nat

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments with names are more likely to be published.