(Serves 1 person)
1 medium sweet potato, chopped into cubes
2 handfuls of spinach
1/2 a red onion, diced
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp oregano
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp maple syrup
1 tsp oil (any kind)
Pinch of sea salt
1) Preheat the grill to a medium temperature.
2) Bring a pan of water to the boil. Add the sweet potato and simmer for 4 minutes (until not quite tender). When finished, drain.
3) In a small frying pan, heat the oil then add the red onion and drained sweet potato. Heat for around 4 minutes over a medium heat, until the onions have begun to slightly caramelise and the potato is tender.
4) Add the thyme, oregano, cinnamon and maple syrup. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine.
6) Remove the pan from the heat and crack an egg on top of the scramble. Place pan under the grill for a couple of minutes, until the egg whites are set, but the yolk is slightly runny. (Alternatively fry the egg separately and place on top once served).
7) Gentle slide the contents of the pan onto a plate and sprinkle with the sea salt to serve.
Optional: I haven't tried this, but I get the feeling that bacon would make an excellent addition to this dish. Chop up one rasher and add to the pan at the same time as the onion and sweet potato. Don't take my word for it though, I've yet to test it out!