by Maisie Riddle
These cupcakes are so chocolaty and rich, you never know when the chocolate starts or ends. They are so indulgent and extremely addictive (and rather messy, I might add!).
I experimented with this recipe and the cupcakes turned out to be a success! I shared them with my school friends and they went down a treat, which is why I have decided to share this recipe; the cupcakes are so delicious and home-made is always best! I also added a little icing sugar and more cream to the filling and icing to make the cupcake less rich.
For the sponge:
· 80g unsalted butter
· 280g caster sugar
· 200g plain flour
· 40g cocoa powder
· 1/4 tsp salt
· 1 tbsp baking powder
· 2 large eggs
· 240ml whole milk
For the filling and icing:
· 400g dark chocolate, finely chopped, plus 50g extra to decorate (optional)
· 400ml double cream
Preheat the oven to 190C and line a 12-hole cupcake tin with cupcake liners.
1. Using a hand-held electric whisk, mix together the butter, sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Mix until sandy in consistency and no large lumps of butter remain.
2. Mix the eggs and milk together in a jug by hand. Pour three quarters of the egg mixture into the dry ingredients. When all the liquid is incorporated, scrape any dry ingredients from the side of the bowl and add the remaining milk. Mix on a medium speed until you have a smooth and even batter.
3. Spoon into the cupcake cases until they are two thirds full, then bake for 18-20 minutes until well risen and springy. Leave to cool on a wire rack.
4. For the filling, place the finely chopped chocolate in a bowl. Heat the cream until nearly boiling, then pour over the chocolate and stir until melted. Stir until smooth, then cover with cling film and set aside to cool.
5. Place the cooled cupcakes on a board and hollow out the centre with a sharp knife, cutting out a piece about 2cm in diameter and 3cm long. Set aside the cut out pieces and, using a teaspoon or piping bag, fill the hollow of each cupcake half full with the chocolate cream filling. Place the cut out pieces of sponge on top, so they fit like a lid, then swirl the chocolate cream icing over that. And there you have it: chocolate fondant cupcakes.