My Top Four Embarrassments

by Charlotte Knighton

While pondering upon what my article should be about, I thought about many of my experiences in life, and, after a while, I noticed a thread linking the vast majority of my most vivid memories…they all seemed to involve me being embarrassed. Therefore, I decided to compile a list of the top four things that embarrass me.

So, at Number Four… Blushing.

I’m sure many people can agree with this one. Any situation that is moderately awkward or embarrassing can be made ten times worse by blushing, and what’s more it seems to be impossible to control. Unfortunately, I have an inability to stop blushing when start, so I have to go around for at least ten minutes looking like my head’s about to explode until I forget that I’m blushing; only then does it seem to go away. My charming friends (who I will not mention by name but they know who they are) have the ability to make me blush by saying just a few words that trigger memories that embarrass me.

That leads me on to my next embarrassment, a close third… My friends.

What most people think of when asked to describe their friends are things such as “funny”, “kind” or “they know me so well”. Not so much, with me. While all of that may be true, the things that spring into my mind when I think of my friends are all of the horrendously embarrassing moments that they have helped cause. Among these moments that still have the power to make me cringe and blush are many that seem to take place on my birthdays, which my friends clearly see as a chance to embarrass me as much as possible. When I was still a shy Year 7, it was singing "Happy Birthday" to me loudly in the lunch hall so that everyone joined in; this year, it was putting a truly horrendous photo of me up on the notice board in my tutor room. There are many more I could mention, but (as the title of the article implies) they’re a little too embarrassing!

My friends however look like angels compared to Number Two… My dad.

Yes, I know, everyone’s parents are embarrassing; it’s part of being a parent, etc, etc. My dad, however, takes it to new levels. My esteemed father is a keen cyclist, and so he has all of the proper kit. Nothing wrong with that, of course. Not until he’s in his lycra, waiting outside the front door in the morning as my friends' parents collect them from my house. Or until he turns up to school to collect me, proudly wearing his padded cycling shorts (or, if you’re really lucky, his tights). As if that wasn’t bad enough, he feels no shame whatsoever. On a skiing holiday, as we were walking along a street, I was slightly behind him; suddenly, I saw something fall out of the bottom of his trousers. I looked at the ground to see what it was and it turned out to be a pair of his pants. He just carried on walking and left them in the street.

Unfortunately, I realised that I couldn’t possibly have anything else as Number One other than… Myself.
It’s sad, but it’s true. I can't seem to get through a day without doing something I look back on and think “Why on earth would you do/say/think that?” Part of the problem may be that I don’t have enough of a connection between my brain and my mouth. I come out with the most ridiculous things that, if said by anyone else, I would mock mercilessly, but I never seem to catch myself in time to stop it. Things such as “Ooh Scotland, that’s like the top of England” and “I used to think all the hair you had was coiled up inside your head” (I feel I should point out that that was a long time ago).

Not only do my words and thoughts embarrass me but also my actions have led to many cringing moments. I don’t have great coordination, for example when involved with the whole walking-up-stairs thing. A memorable occasion was when I tripped over going up the stairs three times on one stair case and, as I got to the top, a tiny Year Seven looked at me very seriously and said “Are you drunk?” Even walking on flat ground seems to pose a challenge sometimes, as invisible objects always seem to appear in front of me and trip me up when I'm least expecting it.

Having said all of this about the embarrassment of my life, I wouldn’t want it to change. After the initial horror is over, they are moments I can look back on and think, “I know never to do that again” and laugh at them… until I do it again.

Comments

  1. haha, poor you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do occur with me as well, so I know how you feel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happens to every1 dont worry ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. stuff like that always happens to me!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. great use of words and so true

    ReplyDelete
  6. great use of words and so true

    ReplyDelete
  7. Its very true that Dads are embarrassing. Mine is as he is old fashioned! But my amazing friend seem to fine nothing to make me cringe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor You!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. my dad is probably way more embarrasing then yours

    ReplyDelete
  10. so true, keep writing!!!!! :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. it happens to everybody

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha my dads does that to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahahah, very funny and so true!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I totaly Know how you feel, my Mum is soooo embarrising if we go out into town. And i think me as a whole is embarrising, like i have a realy awkward laugh!(Awkward Laugh(:D))

    ReplyDelete
  15. Couldn't agree more. But I guess thats life.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yup, I think I can definetly relate to No.1 and 4!

    ReplyDelete
  17. ahaha, awh! I'm exactly the same :) I really like your sytle of writting

    ReplyDelete
  18. Unfortunately this is all true!

    ReplyDelete
  19. cool story bro

    ReplyDelete
  20. my dad has lycra too !

    ReplyDelete
  21. i do that aswell

    ReplyDelete
  22. I so agree with al that and your not alone with being embarrassed by yourself.I have the most embarrassing and awkward laugh that makes everyone stare at me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love this blog! I totally agree but I guess everybody has that problem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lol. I can really relate to that.

    ReplyDelete
  25. VERY FUNNY!!!!!!
    I AGREE !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hilarious! Thank you for sharing - I'm sure we can all relate. Personally, the blushing thing happens to me all the time and is a real nuisance!

    ReplyDelete
  27. HAHAHAHAAA i am very glad that you posted those things because i can definately relate to that! (my dad has an extensive collection of dark blue polo shirts!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can definitely relate to No.2 and No.3, and keep writing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. apart from the first one everything is exactly the same epsially my dad a complete embarisment to myself and the family

    ReplyDelete
  30. Yeh all that is true and happens to me loads :-D

    ReplyDelete
  31. My dad has to be the most embarrising person, all my friends would agree!!
    :0

    ReplyDelete
  32. I totally agree! My life just all together is so embaressing (especially with my sister) :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. so true, but i embarrass myself loads.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Charlotte's Dad21 March 2013 at 18:57

    Tried to post my defence earlier today, but it seems Charlotte may have enlisted the schools help in blocking me (or maybe it was the cat walking over the keyboard again)

    The points I wished to make were:
    1. There's nothing wrong with lycra if you know how to wear it
    2. The shorts weren't padded (!)
    3. The pants were at least mine, and I was relieved to find them as they had gone missing a few days before (the way things do on skiing holidays)
    4. Why only number 2? I have something to aim for now and look to hit the number 1 spot in the next few weeks.
    Charlotte will no doubt keep you posted

    TTFN, LOL, YOLO, ROFL


    If my post doesn't appear this time I will know that Big Brother (or is it Sister Miss Rickard?) is watching

    ReplyDelete
  35. Haha this is so true! Happens all the time and you should MEET my dad... :D

    ReplyDelete
  36. It is so embarrasing when I blush, I also go bright red for ages!! My laugh makes other people laugh!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  37. Ha Ha so true... I have the worst laugh ever and everything is sooo funny!

    ReplyDelete
  38. i couldn't agree more! that seems to happen to me a lot as all the boys in my class are super inapropriate! my dad also is soooooooo embaressing! i dont let him meet any of my new friends!

    ReplyDelete
  39. awww... poor you, but it is very funny

    ReplyDelete
  40. I agree the same happens with my family

    ReplyDelete
  41. I always embarrass myself so much! I can trip over the same thing several times!

    ReplyDelete
  42. That's exactly like me!

    ReplyDelete
  43. Unlucky!!
    i dont blush though so i'm all good

    ReplyDelete
  44. the second last paragraph is hilarious omg :')

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments with names are more likely to be published.