How Many New Year's Resolutions Have You Broken Already?

by Isabelle Byrne

(source: freelancefolder.com)
On the 31st December, at midnight, people all over the country vow to change and yet, by the end of January, many of these vows have been broken. Why every year do we all do the same?

I can honestly say that, since I was 7, my New Year's resolution has been to stop biting my nails and yet, within 30 minutes, it's almost guaranteed that I will have broken this resolution. Its worrying to think about the little willpower I have to stop doing something as simple as biting my nails. So when we look at the ‘Top Ten’ New Year's Resolutions we can see how some of these may not be the easiest to keep:
1.      Spend more time with family and friends
2.      Fit in fitness
3.      Tame the bulge
4.      Quit smoking
5.      Enjoy life more
6.      Quit drinking
7.      Get out of debt
8.      Learn something new
9.      Help others
10.  Get organised
I know family or friends that have tried and failed at all of these objectives. I’ve always had the same view – if you want to do something and achieve, then you have to be SELF-motivated. For example, if I have motivation to revise for exams (for example being offered a place at university) then I will revise – having my Mum and Dad moan at me will not help, as I don’t have the drive to achieve myself.

So on that fateful day, every year, we set ourselves up for failure by setting such unrealistic goals – not that they cannot be achieved but deciding to reach them because of the day of the year seems ludicrous. It’s as silly as turning around and saying that on the 3rd of August I shall simply stop talking. (.. a bit too far?). Either way I do find the whole event rather bizarre, and yet every year I find myself doing the same thing – creating a New Year's resolution that I surely could never fail.

I may be sceptical of New Year's resolutions, but that is based on 16 (not a wealth of experience I grant you) New Years come and gone in which I have seen myself, family and friends fail to reach their New Year goal. If you are one of the many who has managed to survive until the next New Year, feel very proud and please tell me how you did it! Statistically, 46% of New Year's resolution makers last longer than 6 months.

So, this year, I had the brilliant idea that I would make an easy New Year's resolution: to defy the entire convention of creating a New Year's resolution. I can easily say I have stuck to this and do not feel the same bitter disappointment that would normally permeate during January.

To those of you who have made a resolution, January is the month to get past. Considering that we are now 3/4 of the way through January, if you have made it this far, well done – congratulations and give yourself a pat on the back. Now keep going and I hope you don’t fail.

One thing I’ve always wondered – what happens when you manage to keep going the entire year? Do you receive a letter from the Queen? £5 in the post? A prize of any description? If anyone has any answers to this please let me know. Good Luck and a Happy New Year.

Comments

  1. As soon as I make a resloution, I break it within the next month.:p

    ReplyDelete
  2. ive already given up new years resolutions

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments with names are more likely to be published.